1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out to my aunt?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by BluhImCourtney, Apr 29, 2015.

1. BluhImCourtney

I haven't spoken to my aunt in years, but just now she texted me wishing me a happy birthday... using my full masculine name. Not even a cute nickname or something.

This is the same aunt who ALWAYS referred to me as her "little man". And also, even though I don't really believe that much in gender roles, she wouldn't let me get any toy that would be considered "feminine", like a doll, when I was a kid. I also think she might bring up how her "dragging me into the female public restroom molded it," which it certainly did not.

So how do I come out to a person like this and tell them I identify as a female? I know I have to some time... I actually had a nightmare about this a few months ago.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Side note: she lives in New Jersey, I live in NY. She may have been to our house before, but years ago, so the chances of us seeing each other again are kind of small unless there's a reunion or something.

EDIT: When I say "dragged" it was because she didn't want me to be by myself when I was younger, or at least below 10.

2. DoriaN

Well, to answer the topic; yes.
    You already said you will have to tell her sometime, so sooner than later is better.

She loves you, just be calm, not forceful, go easy on her, not have her go easy on you. Understand that the initial reaction will likely be negative, but it's the same as taking off a bandaid, there will be some pain in order for the healing to begin or to show.

You know her best, so do it in a way that she'll find compassionate.

Maybe rather than outright telling her, you can talk for a bit or have a build up, maybe describing being in pain or being upset or having a problem. She'll sympathize because she cares, and as she wants to learn more you can get more specific.

At the end of it, you'll have given your testimony, and all she can do is digest it and make of it what she will.

3. BluhImCourtney

Should I text her or call her? I'm kind of a really bad conversationalist over the phone... ;<;

4. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    It sounds like maybe texting is better then!
    Good luck! Dorian said everything for me above! here's a hug though (*hug*)