1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

misgendering self

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Matto_Corvo, May 1, 2015.

1. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I've started using he/him pronouns in my head for myself, as well as using my male name when doing internal dialogue (is it crazy that I talk to myself?)

Is it normal to misgender one's self at first? Like I have to constantly remind myself to go he instead of she.

I guess I assume that other transgender people just immeaditly fall into the right pronouns and have no issue what so ever. Kinda think maybe from a young age they always used the pronouns of their true gender instead of the ones of their biological sex.

I know these assumptions are most likely wrong, but I can't feeling that sense I misgender myself that maybe I'm not as trans as I thought.

2. lonewolfblair

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Don't worry i am only just getting used to using the correct pronouns and i still use my birth name on occasion, i put this down to force of habit, reflexs in other words

3. LexSeir

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Don't worry about it- calling yourself by female pronouns is likely a reflex from doing it for so many years. I had the same problem, just give it some time and keep working with yourself :slight_smile:

4. Outlier

I think it's normal. I know I still misgender myself sometimes too. I think it's harder to break the habit as an adult, especially if you still have to use your legal name for things all the time. I can't wait till that's changed. Once I don't have to keep switching back and forth depending on who I'm talking to it'll be so much easier.

5. Queero

I misgender myself accidentally too. Really just out of habit. Try not to let it bother you.

6. Acm

Acm Guest

I did at first too. I was worried about it at first, but really it can take a while to undo all those years of social conditioning you've been through.

7. penta

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i can't really relate to mis gendering but i have changed my name i sometimes i accidentally use my birth name instead of my new name.
    It not weird, you have used she pronounces all your life and got used to it, once you get used to he/him it will go better, just give yourself some time.
    and that you have internal conversations is pretty normal too, i don't know what i should do without the conversations with myself