1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out and (sort of) relationships?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by syzygy, May 1, 2015.

1. syzygy

I live in a very conservative community, so being trans is something I've had to keep very quiet. I do have a handful of very close friends who I've told, but that's it.

The trouble is, I'm not even sure if I'm in a relationship right now. We've been friends for a long time, and have had similar experiences with depression and anxiety. She's the sort of person I thought I could tell anything, and just a few weeks ago she asked me to go to her HS prom.

This though? I don't know. I don't even really know how she feels about me. We're such close friends that I feel guilty for not telling her, but I'm terrified of the thought that she might think I was faking attraction to her, or that she might be angry for not telling her before now, or if she just plain might not like trans people.

I feel like a liar. Well no, I am a liar, and I'm okay with that, it's necessary in my family/community. It's more that I feel like I'm being selfish, because I'm keeping the truth from her to preserve our relationship.

So what should I do? I feel like she has to know eventually, but I don't know if I should immediately, or delay until I know where I'm at with her. Has anyone had a similar experience? I have no idea how to handle coming out to her.

2. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've always found that the best way to lose a friend is to worry about losing them. Enjoy your time with her, laugh, smile, talk about things that you find interesting. If she ever asks than tell the truth if you feel up to it. Don't feel forced to share something that you feel uncomfortable about unless you feel as if it is the right time.