1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Short hair is my bane.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Ryu, May 2, 2015.

1. Ryu

Ryu

Well... As y'all mah or may not know, I was meant to have a haircut sometime this month (well April but oh well), and I got it done today. So I go into the barbours all happy go lucky, and come out with hair way shorter than I wanted, probably because I have no idea what any fancy hair terminology means, and just asked to have a fair bit of length taken out. Now, this might not seem like all that much but it is really stressing me out. I normally have shoulder-ish length hair and a reasonabley androgynous look, but I've always felt male, and yet now that I have a distinctly masculine look, I feel... Wrong... Looking in a mirror... I don't know why, but looking masculine just feels so darned wrong... I'm pretty sure I almost vomited in my mouth cleaning my teeth earlier looking at myself... And yeah...

So in summary, having my hair cut shorter is making me re-consider my gender, any help? Has this happened to anybody else, or is this just me?

2. bi2me

Maybe it's just a bad hair cut, or maybe you are more androgynous than male?

3. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^ what this person said

As well, when I was in 9th grade I had my hair cut for JROTC and I had reservations because I was raised by a father who said girls should never have short hair. I told them to make it short enough to pass inspection. The woman cut my hair and styled it in a feminine way. The minute in saw it in felt sick and wanted to cry. Not only did I hate it but it made my head look to small for my body. I didn't even wait for my mom to get done with her hair cut, I walked the few miles home and went to my room to cry. I couldn't look in the mirror without wanting to punch it. When I went to school I wore my hood up, which got me in trouble. I felt like a freak and my reflection was my enemy. I vowed to never cut my hair short again.
    But a few months ago I got a pixie cut and feel in love with it. I loved it a little more when it grew out enough to style like a boy, and I can't imagined going back to long hair.

So maybe you have a bad cut, or maybe you are androgynous more than male. When it grows out a little try to style it in different ways, or if you can do that now than do so. Its about finding what feels right for you.
    And hey, guys can have long hair as well

4. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Naw, don't think so. You just look akward to yourself,, that's all. Hair will grow back, don't worry.
    Try styling or something in the meantime.

Yes, it happened to me all my life. Can't stand long hair on me, it just looks wrong.

Don't panic, you are fine.

5. wasgij

It's OK. What sort of ball-park age are we talking about, if you feel comfortable saying?

If you're in high-school, please don't be put off by pixie cuts forever. Tastes change. Also, I'm a big fan of pixie cuts. I remember back in high-school, someone walked past with short hair and I was hit by this wave of attraction, followed by this sense of shock, thinking "OMG, am I gay?!" It wasn't until several minutes later that I realised, "Oh. Right. Yeah. Girl's uniform... flat chest... that was close. Thank god I'm not gay!" :eusa_doh: At the time, that haircut was a little bit too stereotypically male for me to handle, but that didn't stop me from having a crush on that girl for the next couple of years. After the first time I saw her, she did grow it longer though. Maybe because 99% of the other girls had longer hair.

Looking back, I kind-of wish that "long" hair wasn't such a big show of femininity in the first place.