1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender Options for NBs

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Salaman, May 2, 2015.

1. Salaman

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    How do you, as a gender non binary person, react to 'required' gender options that are limited to two (male or female), within school apps, surveys, tests, etc? Would you avoid the situation altogether because they haven't recognized you as a gender or lack thereof? Keep in mind that I am referring to a scenario in which it's 'mandatory' to answer either man or woman to complete the app, survey, test, etc.
    And how do you guys react to being nearest to non gender neutral bathrooms, washing rooms, and/or locker rooms? I live in the US where my gender isn't 'federally' recognized, and I remember dropping a gym class because there I was mandated by the teacher to change in a 'girls' locker room during the beginning of 'coming out.' I also avoided school restrooms, except the nurse's, shortly after identifying as non binary.

#1 Salaman, May 2, 2015
    Last edited: May 2, 2015
  2. Ninnie

Out Status:
    All but family
    I live in the US as well. I'm not out yet as Gender-fluid but I am also not completely uncomfortable with people using female pronouns with me [I'm DFAB].

I tend to check off the "Female" marker for mandatory/legal things since I'm legally female but if it's not mandatory then I'll leave it blank. As of now I do not take gym class so I don't need to worry about locker rooms and when I did I hadn't started questioning my gender. I usually don't use the bathrooms at school since there are no gender neutral but if I have a lax teacher I'll ask to go during class and then go to the men's room.

3. anann

Similar to Ninnie, I leave it blank if I can and generally choose female in mandatory situations since I'm dfab. I generally use the female bathrooms, but I have been read as male by most people who don't know me recently so I may switch when I'm alone.

I don't like it, but I have no other ideas right now.