1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Breast Binding and airtravel

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by lostboy94, May 4, 2015.

1. lostboy94

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Is it safe to bind on an airplane? My flight is an hour and half. I regularly bind for 12 hours straight 12 hours off so time is not an issue. Are there other concerns I should think about?

2. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hmm, good questions. if its only for that short amount of time i don't see why it would be a problem. I've looked it up some (yay google), but nothing has said anything about not doing it.

3. lostboy94

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yea I googled it but I wanted to double check on here with actual people who may have actually done it. The only con I can come up with is the damn tsa.

4. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yeah I read about that. I mean if you want to chance it then go ahead. If worse comes to shove, just go to the airplane bathroom and take it off.

5. Queero

No it is not safe, because of the changes in pressure. I haven't done this, but I wouldn't risk it.

6. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hmm, that does make sense

7. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've heard the pressure argument is not true (though I can't think of where I read it) because the cabin is pressurized for the sole purpose of making sure the pressure doesn't change enough for it to be dangerous.

Flying can still be stressful on your body, so I wouldn't recommend it for longer flights, and I wouldn't recommend it if you're a person who usually has trouble (gets lightheaded, airsick, anything like that) on airplanes, but since it's just 1.5 hours it should be fine.

Regarding the TSA, at most, they'll be confused and you'll get patted down. It could be a hassle, but they should let you wear it.

8. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you'd be okay because of the flight duration, but I never took into account the air pressure changes.

9. penta

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Since a airplane cabin is pressurized to normal ground pressure the pressure thing is not a problem, except in the rare case of rapid decompression :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    The pressure will vary when landing or taking off but the difference is so little it doesn't matter. (the worst that can happen is you will feel your ears..)
    So that's not an issue. TSA will probably ask questions or get you padded down or something but it's totally not illegal to wear a binder.
    So it should be ok to wear it on a plane.
    And like others already said, if it doesn't feel good, just go to the toilet and take it off.

10. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would be sure to disclose it to the TSA. I've heard some people having issues with the TSA making a big deal out of them wearing a binder on a plane. If you disclose it to them, you should be fine. Also, if you do have to be patted down, you can choose to have the person that pats you down be the same gender as you identify. Here is a link to the TSA regulations on transgender travelers.

Also, the pressure changes are minimal enough in a plane that I don't think that would cause any issues.

11. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I say, have a safe trip, young man. And don't forget gum for takeoff and landing.

12. anann

I've flown many times wearing my binder - it didn't occur to me that it could be a problem except for the length of the flight. I've never had a problem even on longer flights (up to 8 hours). The screeners have read me as male recently and they are alerted that there is something on my chest, but they pat the area with the back of their hand and send me on my way. When I was read as female they seemed not to even notice. I've never told them I wear a binder and always figured that if they were confused or asked I could tell them then, especially since the people I've traveled with do not know I bind my chest.

I wouldn't worry too much and have a good flight!

13. suninthesky

I've worn mine. I tend to get patted down on the chest more often when I do so, but only through the body scanners not the metal detectors. They're respectful when patting people down and some something like "You're good, sir" last time they patted me down. I personally don't see the need to tell them. But I haven't had anything unusual happen and I guess if there's the possibility it's something to think about.

14. lostboy94

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I won't bind then. I can not risk a pat down due to my sensory challenges from my autism spectrum disorder. It is a double edge sword not only does my binder keep my dismorphia in check it has the added benefit of helping me stay calm due to the pressure. On the other hand if I get a patdown I will likely have a sensory melt down but I may still have one without the binder because of the lack of sensory input. UGH I think I will change into it after I get through security.

15. PossumJack

I've worn binders on flights all the way up to 8 hours without any problems, but you should probably factor in your own comfort to how long you can wear it. And like others have said, air cabins are designed to be pressurized at around normal levels so that shouldn't be a problem.

Personally, I always opt for a pat down due to political reasons, and no one's said anything so far. Though the TSA agent doing the patting down did seem awfully confused at my absence of breasts :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: