1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could I be genderfluid?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by tftm, May 6, 2015.

1. tftm

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'm a little confused about my gender identity (currently I identify as demigirl and possibly genderfluid) but I'm not sure. Could I be genderfluid, or something else?

When I was around 9-12, I would always dress in typically boyish clothes, and rejected clothes and acts I defined as feminine in relation to myself.
    I didn't want to be a boy, but I did try to behave in a way that I perceived to be masculine as possible. I disliked the term tomboy though, as it made me feel uncomfortable for whatever reason, and although I'm rarely referred to as such now I still don't like it. When I started puberty I would wish I had been born male sometimes, but I've never had a desire to transition, nor have I experienced gender dysphoria. My tomboyishness began to dissapitate at around 12, meaning that I stopped trying to 'prove myself' as boyish because that was how I wanted to be seen as, as I was uncomfortable with girlier things and wanted to disassociate myself with whatever I perceived as girly.

( I've got pretty much no idea how to phrase any of this ;u; )

The way I was when I was 9-12 felt very comfortable for me then, but I shifted to being pretty much neutral until I was about 13 1/2. I'd have days where I'd feel like looking more feminine, and wearing more feminine clothing (but I had no real desire to wear dresses or skirts), and maybe wearing a minimal bit of make-up like eyeliner or mascara. Then I'd have days where I'd entertain the thought of being a boy, and would want to cut my hair short and bind my chest. When I turned fourteen, I thought I could be a demigirl, as I'd stopped feeling very in touch with my gender. I just didn't see it as that relevant a part of me half the time, more of an afterthought. So I thought demigirl sounded like me, and that's what I identify as now. For a couple of days though, I've been wondering if my girl days, boy days and neutral days could mean I'm genderfluid.

I don't really have anyone to discuss it with, so any opinions would be appreciated c:

2. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not an expert, and hopefully someone who is genderfluid can come clarify..but it sounds like genderfluid to me.

Don't worry, I understood what you were trying to say :slight_smile: It was how my childhood was like, except I know just pretty much want to be an androgynous male (which would mean transitioning >__< which still not sure about)

But yeah you could be genderfluid. I know some people who go through things like you describe and still call themselves demi-girls. Its all a matter of finding a label that you finds fits you best.

3. tftm

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thank you c: I think I identify as demigirl/genderfluid then.