1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My feminine figure depresses me...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by HooLoo, May 8, 2015.

1. HooLoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I love men's clothes. I love wearing them and I feel handsome in them but when I think about how I actually look in them I feel stupid.
    I'm too ashamed to go shopping in the men's section and looking online it just makes me sad.
    I feel like I'm silly because I'm clearly a girl, my body isn't masculine enough to pull off the clothes I like.
    I just depresses me a lot when I realise how stupid I'd look in a suit compared to more masculine people, has anyone else ever felt this? Any tips on getting over these insecurities?

2. DinelodiiGitli

Oh I feel the same however I'd probably shop in the men's department if my Mother approved and if I wouldn't get rude comments from my neighbors regardless. I wish I had some good advice to give but I sadly dont.
    I just end up wearing women's clothes which are too big on me as to hide my figure.

3. HooLoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can buy jumpers and hoodies in the men's section but if I buy something like a shirt or blazer (I have prom coming up) then I know I'm going to get weird looks and I dont usually care but I want to be seen as more masculine and I know I'm not.

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Swag, baby.

If you like the clothes you have on, it'll be easier to feel good. How you present is what determines masculinity. Anybody who says your figure disqualifies you from that, well, they are idiots and now you know to avoid them.

Wear what you want, but own it. I know that's easier said than done, but the attitude is the greatest part of the formula. If you don't present, you leave folks with nothing else to go off of, except what they see.

I'd be glad to swap my body for yours, but you'd be going from 16 to 28, LOL.

5. HooLoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I used to do that but it's making me want to just stay curled into a ball and not go out...

6. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

You know staying home and curling up isn't helping things. As hard as it is, you have to make some effort, little steps, bit by bit. Otherwise, things aren't going to change, at least not enough to appease you.

Eventually, what you want is going to come into conflict with how you are. Again, start small, work up to it.

7. HooLoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm fine with most clothes, its been me recently looking at suits and shirts that have really upset me because I'm not flat chested enough to wear them and look good, I honestly don't know what to do to fix this. I'm worried I'm not going to be able to go to the college I want and my prom because I'll have to wear own clothes and I feel wrong in girls clothes but look stupid in mens ...
    I think I need to work out why I'm feeling like this to fix it to be honest

8. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

That's a very intelligent remark.

How do you propose going about this?

9. HooLoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I honestly have no idea, I have feelings like this all the time and no one to speak to and no way to deal with them so i just try and ignore them. I wish there was someone i could talk to and theyd just tell me whats going on.

10. DinelodiiGitli

Therapist with experience in understanding/treating gender dysphoria?

11. Lazuri

I see a lot of insecurity about shopping in the men's section on here and honestly, I don't think it would be bad at all. A woman buying men's clothes isn't nearly as taboo as a man buying women's clothes. People might question your dress sense, but they won't think you're a freak. Just go for it, I say.

12. confusedperson2

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I really understand how you feel but I agree with most people on here that its all about the attitude if you feel good in that suit then wear it...easier said than done I am struggling with that as well but you seem to have lots of support here :slight_smile:

13. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    All this comes from comparing yourself not just to simply other men, but particular kind of men.

You've got still time to get into HRT and the rest and get more than acceptable results. Right now you need to make the best of what you've got : Try binders, sports, and the rest.

Don't try to get it all at once. The kind of changes we are after take some time. It'll be harder (and more expensive) to find clothes that fit you, but if you search for them you'll find them.
    You could also learn to modify yourself the clothes.

Against feeling insecure there is no universal solution, everyone has to find what works best for them, and you won't know until you start to try out stuff, even stuff you find stupid or crazy.

Also stop putting yourself down systematically. Keep a vigilant eye on your thoughts, actions... Just be aware and take control of it. Most of the time we are our own worst enemy.

14. staries

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel exactly like you do. It's okay to feel embarrassed, but don't let it dominate your self-happiness. Maybe go with a supportive friend or parent/guardian, that helps me.

15. confusedperson2

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    great advice!

--Brendan