1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exercise with binders

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Kr4d105s1, May 8, 2015.

1. Kr4d105s1

I’ve read that binders put a lot of pressure on the chest and should not be worn for more than 8 hours a day. This probably means it affects breathing to some extent, so how much physical activity are you capable of doing while using a binder? Cardio? Yoga? Or do you just wear a sports bra? If this is the case, how does going to the gym work?
    I’ve never used a binder before and want to know how much it restricts physical activity. Thank you for your help.

2. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't exercise in a binder. Not at all. It definitely affects breathing, so anything that's enough exercise to make you breathe faster cannot be done in a binder. Just wear a sports bra.

3. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^ This completely. Binding (even if your binder isn't snug) while working out or exercising isn't good for you, as it restricts your breathing.

4. Kr4d105s1

Thanks for the quick reply. It's far in the future, but if I get top surgery are the chest muscles affected? Without T my muscles will not develop as much, nor will they heal as fast. From the diagrams and descriptions top surgery doesn't seem to cut to the muscle but does anyone have personal experience that they're willing to share?

5. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't had top surgery yet, but the muscles aren't going to be negatively affected if that's what you mean. You could do chest exercises to strengthen them and help your surgeon find your natural pec line better.

6. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been told to do exercises that most men do to strength chest muscles and get well define pecs, even though I am pre everything.
    From what research I've done I don't think the surgery affects the muscles at all, its mostly just removing the fat, glands, and tissue that make up breasts, and then reconstructing what is left to form a natural appearing male chest.