1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not sure if this will be helpful but...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Simple Thoughts, May 9, 2015.

1. Simple Thoughts

So I was browsing Youtubz tryin ta find any useful information or practice techniques for voice acting, and I only found one thing. A little quick tutorial from a prank youtuber who poses as a 'girl' in online games.

Anyways...

He offered a video on how someone biologically male ( to avoid any offenses in how one defines gender ) could imitate the voice of someone biologically female ( again read previous ).

I won't show the video because I have no idea what offends who, when, where and how so it's best to just give the information separate from the individual.

( side note: This person does legitimately sound like a biological female. Not a sterotype of a girl, but rather if you heard the voice he used in demonstation your initial assesment would be to assume he was a woman. No question. )

In the video he says that to accomplish this voice impression you need to first tighten your throat ( the goal here being to get your adams apple to retract as much as possible ) and then speak using your head voice.

It's also mentioned this will make your throat sore at first, so keep that in mind.

anyways...I figured for anyone trying to take one a more female persona, or to become fully female this little tip might come in handy or something.

So use at your own discretion ^^

2. Im Hazel

That's a commonly known technique, but thanks for posting. It is easier to imagine moving your adam's apple up your larynx. This moves the resonance away from your chest. It's definitely something to implement into your female voice.

3. Simple Thoughts

Any tips on sounding like a girl would be useful.

Both for the fact I'm looking to take up animation, and because I'm not exactly sure where I fall on the gender scale X3

4. Im Hazel

If you want tips, just google "voice feminization", or "mtf voice training". The website "Susan's Place" has a lot of info, as well.

5. Simple Thoughts