1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sometimes I feel like I 'ought' to be more 'manly'.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Damien, May 10, 2015.

1. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've played that part many times, but it's always been something I've had to force. I've learned by observation how I am supposed to behave around people. When I walk into a strongly male-dominated environment, I cloak myself in 'male mode', which I do understand since I am partly guy, partly...something else. I make sure I don't reveal my more naturally androgynous nature in those situations, it would feel intimidating.

But sometimes I feel as though I ought to 'man up' and try harder. I feel as though maybe I'm being weak, maybe this is a self-indulgence on my part, a way of avoiding the difficult task of being a male in this society. A task I've always found it hard to accomplish. I don't really identify strongly with being either male or female. I feel sort of androgynous, mostly. I love this, but I also struggle with it.

I also feel like no woman is ever going to want to be with me anymore, either. I can't imagine any straight or bi woman would want a guy who isn't 'manly' and I don't want to act anymore when I'm intimate with someone. I just want to be myself. To make matters worse, I hear that most gay / bi guys like manly guys too, so as an androgynous type of guy I'm doubly stuffed in that department.

Thanks for reading. It's the first time I've ever posted a topic like this, and even if no-one else can relate to it, I think ec is the best place to share it.

2. Winter Maiden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Since when is not being manly equivalent to being weak?? Rhetorical question of course the answer is never. You are under no obligation to being more manly. Be yourself and dont let society force you to behave a certain way because "its how men behave". You be you hun! (*hug*)

3. Ashleigh16

Just be yourself. Go with how you feel (within moral ethical reason of course :wink: and that's where you'll be happiest :slight_smile:

4. GenderConfused

You shouldnt have to be someone youre not, people should acceot you for who you are and if they dont then theyre not worth your time... And for the record, not all guys go fir "manly men", I actually find wimpier guys cute and there are many girls who feel the same way, everyone has their type... its the same for guys too... Youre not alone anyway, Im pretty gender neutral most of the time and theres always this pressyre to be someine im not, but you jusy need to realise that youll be happiest if you can be true to yourself and shouldnt change ti please others...(*hug*)

5. AlexTheGrey

Nope, nope, nope. This is totally not true. Although I can relate to the feeling.

In my case, it was a bit like a conscience gone out of control. Instead of grounding me a bit so that irrational thoughts couldn't control me, it policed my own behavior. "Men aren't supposed to want this" is probably the one bit of internal dialogue that I can remember the most clearly at this point. I'm feeling better now that I can recognize that voice a bit better, and have started to shut it up. Is it still there? Yeah. Am I starting to open up to things I rejected out of hand? Definitely.

However this manifests, it is totally worth facing it and overcoming it. Accepting yourself for you is a good thing, no matter what it may mean. There is nothing that you should do when it comes to being more masculine or feminine. There should only be what you want to do.

I can also relate to this. I'm currently in a long-term relationship, and as I get a better grasp on what works for me, it actually hasn't helped on this front. There are other factors involved, but this has certainly been a part of it as well. But it isn't insurmountable. In my case, it is trying to get back to where we were, when my partner would take the initiative quite often, which turns out was a lot more important in setting the mood than I gave it credit for when I was younger.

This is true, although I'm not sure "wimpier" is a good word to be using here. It may not be correct, and it doesn't really have any good connotations.

#5 AlexTheGrey, May 11, 2015
    Last edited: May 11, 2015
  6. GenderConfused

This is true, although I'm not sure "wimpier" is a good word to be using here. It may not be correct, and it doesn't really have any good connotations.[/QUOTE]

Sorry lol, its really late over here and I was trying to put it ibto simple terms... I wasnt implying that he was wimpy, I was saying thats my type and using it as an example that there are people for either extreme so there must be people in the middle of the spectrum... probably shouldve explained better.. XD

7. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

It might be harder to find but there are people of both sexes who like femmey guys. It's especially common with bi women. Two of my close friends are bi and are turned on by crossdressing and hairless bodies lol

8. AlexTheGrey

Yeah, I get what you are trying to say, but there are two things I can think of which is why the word comes across as wrong to me:

1) They may not actually be wimpy, but rather passive or submissive. And they may only be submissive in certain situations, like in the bedroom. I say this because I tend to do just that. When dealing with folks normally, I'm fairly assertive, but not so in other settings.
    2) Wimpy carries negative connotations which just doesn't feel right at all. It implies weakness, and is not a positive trait. I would much prefer femme, myself.

9. GenderConfused

Ok, I was just trying to put it simply and I couldnt think of any other way to put it (I was in a bit of a state tbh, ny gender has just come in to question so I was stressed and it wa rlly late..) Sorry for any offence caused, Ill be more careful about my terminology next time.. :slight_smile:

10. BloodFlame

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I understand you completely Damien. I was going through a similar cast of doubt. I still kind of am. I remember it was so bad I was thinking I may as well get a sex change because I didn't see being a feminine guy as a positive thing in the gay world but after talking to some people here, I realize it'd be a big mistake.

I wish I could say things get better but I honestly can't I've never been in a relationship with a guy ever and I'm still pretty invisible to other gay guys whom I'm attracted too. BUT, you have a bonus on your side. If you're bi, I'm sure you can find a girl who will love your natural feminine side. From what I've observed, a lot of girls tend to like feminine bi guys. So you have that on your side at least.

Just don't sweat it. Just continue being yourself. That's what I'm going to do and hopefully, things will work out in due time. Good luck!

11. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I might not be forward in 'going after' a girl (or guy for that matter), I might not seem persistent enough or seem 'tough' in my manner, but when it comes to challenging situations where a bit of courage is required, I seem to have at least as much as the other guys around me, if not more. I'm the sort of person who, if someone is under threat of violence, for example, will not simply pretend I don't notice, which I have seen plenty of much bulkier guys do, continuing to just bury their heads in their newspapers as though nothing is happening (pathetic). If I see bullying or harassment, I try to step in and either defuse the situation, or 'stand with' the one being bullied, even though I'm aware this can put me at risk. Once, a guy on a bus was calling a random woman terrible names, and no-one, not even the driver, said a word to this guy, so I calmly said, "she has not done anything to you, so why are you talking to her like that?" He then turned his attention to me, and said he would "follow me home, and beat the *** out of me". (It turned out ok cos when we all got off at the last stop, I simply hung out with the driver for a while, until I knew the fool was long gone. He didn't hang around). So, I might seem gentle, mild etc, but I'm no 'wimp', although I will also reassure the person who used this term that yes, I know you did not mean it in this way, it's fine. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 14th May 2015 at 09:33 AM ----------

I appreciate you honesty here. I'm not sure things will get easier either, to be honest. I seem pretty darn invisible to guys I'm attracted to, as well. I suspect that that great curiosity (often a burning desire) I have, to know what it would be like to be with a guy, well it might remain just a fantasy in my case. But that's life; not everyone gets to fulfill all of their dreams. Hard, but true.

Yeah, some women don't seem to mind my gentle nature. I just wish I could be bothered making more of an effort to find some compatible woman to be with. Maybe I'm turned off by the last gf I had who ended up really emotionally abusing me.

A big thank-you to everyone else who replied and offered me all this support. I am grateful and I am feeling a bit better about it, just by reading your responses. :slight_smile:

#11 Damien, May 13, 2015
    Last edited: May 13, 2015