1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips to act like a guy?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by GenderConfused, May 12, 2015.

1. GenderConfused

Recenrly my gender has come into question and Im not sure whether or not Im bigender.. (I posted a thread about it but havent rlly gotten any replies/advice on whether I am or not and how to handle things..:frowning2: ) I wanted to try being more masculine to see how it feels, but I have no idea what to do... any ideas? :help:

2. Nick07

Hmm, but being a guy doesn't mean you have to be masculine, so I am not sure if that can help you.
    What about finding out what you don't like right now? And trying to change that without judging if it is a masculine or feminine thing?

3. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not the best person to give advice on this, but here's some anyway:
    Learn how to walk like a guy. I'm sure someone here can tell you all about how to do that! Just kind of walk with a slight "swagger", I guess?

Take up more space with your body at all times, sit with legs wide and don't keep your elbows too close to your body. When standing, don't lean on your hips. Stand up straight with your feet at least shoulder width apart, with feet pointing in the opposite direction of each other. Make sure your elbows aren't too close to your body while standing too. If you tend to keep your hands on your hips, try to keep them in your pockets instead and push your elbows out. Men typically try to make themselves look larger, while women try to look smaller often.

Learn to laugh like a guy. I don't know how specifically to do this either, but I'm sure someone here will be able to help with that too.

Be confident! That's not a male trait, but it will make everything look more natural no matter what gender you are at the moment. :slight_smile:

I'm not sure if this is of any help to you at all, but I hope at least some of it is!

#3 HappyGirlLucky, May 12, 2015
    Last edited: May 12, 2015
  4. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    HappyGirlLucky, I heed your call (as someone acting like a guy for the greater part of their life, pff).
    ... or so I thought... dammit I don't know how to do it ^^ sorry, this is useless text.

What I mostly suggest is that you take a good look inside. Are there times when you feel very much like a guy?
    Pose yourself questions like that (no pun intended).
    Be honest with yourself and let your feelings flow.

hugs

5. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think there is a tendency to make the mistake of viewing musculanity from the perspective of an adult. We develop our gender roles during childhood and as such you need to go back to that period to learn how to act. For example, from observing my niece and nephew the differences are clear. My niece has a calming peaceful presence and she communicates beautifully on the other hand my nephew moves about much more fluidly, already starting to run, he uses simple and non complicated ways to communicate. You can try to buy some male toys and learn how to play with them, run around and go wild, just get the feeling of how the experience is. Once you feel comforable, move up in age and learn the changes that boys go through. If you try to force yourself to act more male using body language you will probably seem and feel fake, it needs to come naturally.

6. GenderConfused

Triflow can you read my other thread and tell me what yiu think please? Im kinda confused atn, so it would be a great help... ^.^

---------- Post added 12th May 2015 at 12:26 PM ----------

And Happygirllucky, thanks so much, thats great advice... :grin:

7. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I thought about it some more, I realize that I was probably wrong about about being so conclusive with my statements. The best way is probably a combination of learning to act as an adult and learning childhood specific behavior that serve the basis of gender specific schemata. I do believe that part of this process is in a sense having a second childhood, children learn how to act in a gender specific manner through children's books, toys and playing with others. We might feel uncomfortable with the prospect of playing with toys as adults, or more importantly playing with opposite gender toys because of the inhibitions we acquired over our lives.

If you have any children, nieces or nephews it's fairly simple to find opportunities to learn these skills. Otherwise, you can just buy some lego and have fun building stuff with it or go and play basketball for a bit and watch some sports. You would be surprised how much of my interactions with my brothers and father revolve about talking about sports or childhood toys or films and I am 34 and the youngest. :slight_smile:

8. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My tips for acting like a guy? Be yourself. That's it. There is no right way to "act" like one, nor should there be a rule book. The only wrong way to act like a guy is to be a jerk to people and enforce boundaries onto how people can express themselves (ex: Telling guys that they can't wear make-up or wear dresses). Give masculinity your own definition, my friend. Be you, and screw all the others.