1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

eyebrow advice

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Elianora, May 12, 2015.

1. Elianora

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So recently my big dark bushy eyebrows have been causing me quite a bit of dysphoria. I want them to look more androgynous or feminine But I'm afraid to try nesting with them myself cause I'm sure I'd need it up somehow. So I guess the questions I have are:
    - is it worth it to get it done professionally though I'm sure it's far more expensive than I'd like. And if so I don't even know where I would go. Hair salon? Waxing place? Idk?
    -does anyone have any tutorials on doing it yourself perhaps?
    -any other tips?

2. blossoms

blossoms Guest

Hi, I've never got my eyebrows done professionally, but some of my friends get theirs threaded at beauty salons. If you have a look online I'm sure you'll be able to find a salon near you that does eyebrows, I know that where I live there is a nearby hair and beauty salon that does threading, tinting, and waxing (even though it is a bit pricey!). I'd recommend having a look online to see reviews and prices, and then afterwards when they're done, it's easy to just keep them looking neat and presentable by plucking them when you see signs regrowth without worrying about messing up the overall shape of them :slight_smile:

3. KayJay

The spa I get my laser at does my eyebrows for $15, sometimes free. My old neighbor does it for $10 and I have a friend who hooked me up with this amazing woman who threads them for a few bucks.

I have trouble with them myself, if you have connections you can probably find someone to do it cheap if not it isn't too expensive anyways.

I would recommend getting them done by someone who knows what they are doing and who will shape it to your face properly. I'm sure there are tutorials online if you are looking to be frugal. Perhaps ask a friend who may know how to show you? Or go with a friend when you get them done even.

4. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I get mine shaped and dyed at a beauty salon. They charge $25 for that, and it's definitely worth it. :slight_smile: You can then keep plucking them to keep them in shape, plus you probably don't need to dye yours if they are already dark.

ETA:
    You definitely want someone who knows what they're doing to either do it for you or to help you. If you mess them up you can end up looking silly for a month. :lol:

#4 HappyGirlLucky, May 12, 2015
    Last edited: May 12, 2015
  5. Elianora

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All right, well thank you ask so much for the advice. Thinking about it now I might have someone who's either can do it or tell me where I should go for it. And honestly I was expecting to hear much higher prices so it is good to hear otherwise. Thanks.

6. wanderinggirl

I've always done my own; my advice is take out the bare minimum at first, and if the next day you still feel like there's too much hair take out the next row, and slowly work your way up. Always make sure you're plucking symmetrically, with good light and stuff. Take selfies so you know if they're even or not. Never pluck above the brow, only below. If your brow hairs are long, trim them to a reasonable length rather than pluck every unruly strand. Err on the side of caution.
    Hope this helps!

7. waternation

waternation Guest

Hey :slight_smile: I used to get mine waxed at a beauty salon for around $13-25, it's not too expensive but it also depends on the person doing them if they turn out good or how you want them too (mine were waxed a few times way too thin ><). I used to tweeze as well, but -pain-, and I don't have the best co-ordination :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Literally the best things I've found to use are these, I LOVE THEM:

3X Facial Eyebrow LIP Hair Removal Safety Razors Trimmer Shaper Shaver Cosmetics | eBay

I know it sound a bit strange to shave your eyebrows but I found these while looking up how to get a more androgynous/straighter eyebrow look and apparently these are pretty big in countries where this trend is more popular like Japan and S Korea. Really cheap and the easiest things to use too!^^