1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Middle Name?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Worlock, May 13, 2015.

1. Worlock

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi folks, I haven't been here for awhile but I thought I'd give an update on where I'm at since a few of you may remember my previous struggle with finding a name. I decided to go with the name Morley Vanderkarr. Morley is similar to a nickname I went by in college, and Vanderkarr is a surname on my mother's side which I am very close to.

I can't decide if I want a middle name or not. If I decide to have one, I kind of like Taylor, Blair, or Elliot, but they all sound somewhat feminine to me and I can't discern how people would read my full name (I'd prefer if it were read androgynous or male). I like having an androgynous first name, but I really can't seem to find a masculine-sounding middle name that goes with everything else (maybe Kurt? Alex?)

So, I'm kind of considering dropping a middle name and am curious as to whether any of you fine people have done the same and if so, has it caused any issues for you with filling out forms/any other random type of thing?

Thanks a lot!

2. Camel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it would depend where you are. I understand it can cause difficulties in the US. You could just have a middle initial, of course!

It is a matter of taste, but if I were in your position (which I am not, so ignore if you wish) I would go for a strong single syllable middle name, given a two syllable first name and a three syllable surname. Morley Blair Vanderkarr sounds quite good to me. But as I say, ignore me if you wish. It's your name.

And congratulations!

3. Worlock

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you; if I do choose a middle name for myself, I think I will probably go with a single syllable one. Blair is the only one I've found so far that I like; my only issue with it is that I can't really discern if it reads masculine or feminine (I don't think I've ever known any Blairs). :lol:

4. Camel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I did know a lad called Blair. I think it would usually be a male name here in the UK. It is a Scots custom originally to use surnames as first names (think Stuart, Keith, Duncan, etc, etc. And like them, Blair is a Scots surname).

I hesitate to suggest, but I think James would be really euphonious.

5. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me, Taylor sounds more feminine, Elliot sounds more masculine, and Blair sounds very androgynous. The name Morley Blair Vanderkarr would sound completely androgynous to me, while choosing Elliot or Taylor would sound more masculine or feminine, respectively.

6. Worlock

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for that insight. That's actually what I wanted to know.

7. Cynder

To me, Blair seems feminine, as I have only met female Blair's. I would go with a John, Mike, Jake, or maybe Alex to get more of a masculine touch. If you like the sound of Blair, you might like Blake?

Anyways, that's my personal opinion, but I hope you are happy with whatever you choose!

8. Worlock

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel like kind of a femme trans guy, so maybe that's okay. I dunno, this is kind of why I might just drop a middle name. I can't find any hyper-masculine ones I like; I think Alex would be the only exception as far as masculine-sounding names go, and I'm worried it would overshadow my first name since it's such a strong name. I could be wrong.