1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Don't Have Sideburns? Haircut Help?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by VRK, May 14, 2015.

1. VRK

VRK

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I need to get my haircut soon, but every time I get my hair cut I get wangsty because they shave off what little sideburn I have in an attempt to square them off.
    My sideburns
    Is there anything I can do with them, or have the stylist do with them, that would solve this problem? I'm fine with makeup, if it comes down to it, since I already do it for my eyebrows. I need something there to frame my face, so I can't just go without sideburns, but I'd prefer to avoid the overly fake looking faux sideburns I see a lot of short-haired girls have.

2. wasgij

Do you want the bad news or the bad news?

The Wolverine look is just not going to work. It's way too wispy. There's like 5 hairs! You could try dropping some more hair down from above the ears and ask them to make it a spiky V-shape like Spock, but I don't know. Is shaved around the ears punk-ish style an option?

3. VRK

VRK

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'll take the bad news first and save the bad news for later...Ha.

All joking aside, I'm glad you're being honest with me. I have considered the shaved punk look, but I don't think I'm brave enough to shave any part of my head...at the moment...:grin: Maybe some day in the future.

I have had the Spock look before and it works for me but my hair grows so fast it ends up looking bushy within a week. I might just have to invest in a good pair of hair scissors and stick with that until I can get on T.

If it helps anyone advise me on my hair woes, here's what my hair generally looks like:
    Link

4. wasgij

I got 6mm sides just recently myself, leaving the top a more classic 5cm. I REALLY like how it feels and I might bring it down to 3-4mm for the summer, if I'm also feeling brave. The skin shows through a lot, but somehow it's not pasty white any more, which is also a confidence boost.
    http://i.imgur.com/NFuFmh8.jpg

For me it's also a bit weird and confusing though! It's basically a pixie cut and on a guy it probably looks more feminine, and I have some inner conflict about that. But for women, that is, FAAB, I think it gives a more masculine look, even if it's purely cultural expectations.

#4 wasgij, May 16, 2015
    Last edited: May 16, 2015