1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I get her to stop saying these things?!

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by PlantSoul, May 15, 2015.

1. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I kind of already stated some of this in another post, but I'll go into more detail in this one.

My grandmother is expecting me to join the workforce and go to college very soon. During this time, I've been making more of an effort to be androgynous, I've talking about my willingness to get a coin purse, etc. It's like she's been going overboard in her beliefs that there's "hope" for me yet, in that she can bend me into be a straight and feminine beauty.

Ugh!

For Mother's Day, I went over her house to watch a film. A few seconds into the film, and she starts bringing up me getting a boyfriend, and how it would be nice if I could, basically, share my love of anime with him. (I honestly never put much thought into that prior.) How I would have to bring him into my room and that I would, of course, need a bed (my god, I didn't realise she was that desperate!) :eek:

I gave an argument against her suggestion, and after suggesting another part of my house, she brings up me bringing this guy over to her house - something that I would never do in a billion years.

Besides this pressure to date, she keeps bringing up how I'm a pretty woman, and that I need to use it to my advantage (I think that's a terrible thing to do), when I look cute/pretty, and how I need to do certain things to make myself more "presentable" in other words, prettier and feminine.

When we go out, and she sees me interacting with guys, I feel like she's subliminally trying to make me go out with them. This pressure is constantly present.

I'm getting annoyed. This type of crap, usually doesn't annoy me. My mother is with me in this, and says that I should tell her to stop, but I'm scared and very nervous about doing this. I'm trying to deal with it by not dealing with it, and it's just making me behave surly towards her. I don't want to flip out on her one day, because she wouldn't understand. Oh, who am I kidding? She wouldn't understand even if I told her politely.

Do you have any advice? Thanks.

#1 PlantSoul, May 15, 2015
    Last edited: May 15, 2015
  2. MirandaJK

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'm afraid that I can't give you advice on how to get her to stop saying these things. What I can do is to tell you that you are not alone. While my situation doesn't exactly translate to my grandma(s) offering up a bedroom with pretty much any guy, I can understand the whole idea of being pushed into a relationship. People have been trying to set me up with different guys for years and I'm not with that. My grandmother's each went to my respective parent and voiced their disappointment that I'm nearly 25 and have no great grandchildren for them yet. Each person has to find their own time for things. Whether it be a man or a woman, they need to learn to be patient and just see what happens. I don't understand the push for relationships and children coming from the older generations these days.

3. Hatsune Miku

sorry if this sounds rude but...

your problem won't magically disappear if you don't do anything about it. grow a backbone and tell her to stop. if that doesn't work then break off your relationship with her, maybe not entirely but at least enough so that her crap stops being such a big issue.

4. nick97

Out Status:
    A few people
    The only way to get her to stop is to tell her to stop, even if it's uncomfortable. There's no real way around it as much as it sucks.

5. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think your opinion's rude. I wish it were that simple. She's overbearing and we're at the moment dependant on her for a number of things. I don't like being confrontational towards others, and I can't handle the stress that comes from it very well. She scares my mother too. She can get very "emotional". Regardless of who grows the backbone, she is going to flip out and yell about it to the two of us. We've both asked her to stop doing things a number of times, and she always gets mad, tries to guilt trip us, or put us down in some.

---------- Post added 16th May 2015 at 02:32 AM ----------

I can't handle the stress, so I'll ask my mother if she can do it.

6. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Maybe she is/was happy with your grandfather, or in general believes that woman needs man (or kids or whatever) for her happiness, and wants you to be happy too. Maybe showing/telling her you're happy and satisfied with your life even without having a male partner might help a little, dunno.

7. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people

---------- Post added 16th May 2015 at 07:56 PM ----------

She ended up having a very unhappy marriage with my grandfather. She's just very old-fashioned, and comes from a very conservative and religious background.

#7 PlantSoul, May 16, 2015
    Last edited: May 16, 2015