1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What makes a hair style look masculine?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by darkcomesoon, May 15, 2015.

1. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The title pretty much says it, but what makes a haircut look more like a guy's haircut than a girl's haircut? My hair is currently short but still fairly feminine with swoopy bangs (think Sara Quin from Sainthood era, which you can totally find on google images, fyi, if you don't know what I'm talking about). I'm getting my hair cut tomorrow, and I was wondering if there were any simple changes I could make that would make it a bit more masculine.

2. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    More angles/jagged edges, I think. When the hair is more cut along a straight line it looks more feminine. My hairdresser has a "razor hair cutter" (not exactly what they're called, but it's like a razor, but for head hair) and she uses it on my hair. It cuts my hairs at more random places, making it look more jagged (probably not the right word, but I can't think of it now) and it looked more masculine that way. You could ask yours if they have a tool like that.

3. Kaya-Sente

As someone who has lived their entire life so far as a male with long hair one thing I can say is shorter definitely seems better. People tend to confuse me (from a distance) often as female. (assuming i am not speaking and am not looking at them). Frankly though, since people usually get my gender wrong close up and think I'm male it may not matter too much as long as it isnt too styled you can probably make it work.

Good luck with the haircut.