1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out letter

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by darkcomesoon, May 17, 2015.

1. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is terrifying. If all goes well, I'm coming out to my mother via letter either Tuesday or Wednesday. I would really appreciate it if you folks could read the letter and give any advice you have. I really want to do this right.

Dear Mom,
    I’m writing this because I’m bad at saying actual words and because I need to confirm something you already suspect is true. I’m trans. Specifically nonbinary: sometimes neutral, sometimes male. When people use words like “she” or “daughter” to refer to me, I feel uncomfortable, so I would prefer male or neutral titles and pronouns. You can call me your child or your son, they/them or he/him, whichever is easiest and most comfortable for you. My given name makes me uncomfortable as well, and I would prefer to go by Jesse.
    I know it’s going to be hard for you to get used to a new name and pronouns, and that’s okay. As long as you’re trying, I won’t be upset with you. Know that I will correct you every time you slip up, but it’s not a criticism or an attack. I just do it to help you learn until you don’t need reminders anymore. Let me know which pronouns would be easiest for you to use so I know which to correct you with.
    I’m sure you’ll have a lot of questions, both about me and about trans people in general (as you already do), but I find answering too many questions to be overwhelming, so I am more than willing to send you links to sites that can help answer questions, and I can answer questions as well, just not too many at a time. I also ask that you trust my answers to these questions and the decisions I make. I know there are things you don’t understand (like the conversation we had about how being misgendered is uncomfortable regardless of the clothes you’re wearing), but you need to approach these topics with the assumption that I am correct and a desire to fully understand, rather than questioning its validity and asking for it to be proven. I’m not criticizing the way you’ve handled these things in the past. I just need to make sure you’ll trust me on these topics.
    I honestly don’t know if I was trans as a child or if this is an example of identities being fluid. It wasn’t something I thought about when I was young. I didn’t start questioning my gender until around junior year, but my feelings were clear and it quickly became apparent that I was not cis. I haven’t doubted that since. I’ve doubted the individual labels I’ve used for myself, but I haven’t doubted that I’m trans. Regardless of whether or not I was trans as I child, I would appreciate if you would use neutral or male titles and pronouns for me when talking about my past as well. I know you prefer not to do that with trans people, but it would make me more comfortable. Whether or not it is more accurate to use she/her to refer to me as a child is irrelevant. Child-me is not here to hear themself be misgendered. I am the only one here and hearing my pronouns used, so I would prefer that the ones that make me comfortable be used.
    If all goes well, I have purposefully given this to you at a time when I will be out of the house for a while so you have some time to think and begin to get used to all this before I come back and have to talk about it. Honestly, I hate coming out, and I would appreciate it if you could tell Dad and Ben for me. Perhaps reading or giving them this letter would be a good idea. Unfortunately, it is probably a weekday and they (or at least Dad) may not be home before I am. I would still appreciate not being there when you tell them or right after you tell them. If you do not feel comfortable doing this, let me know. Please do not tell anyone else. In front of other people, use the name Sarah and she/her pronouns, except in front of Jack or Slopes.
    I know this will take some time to get used to. I appreciate that you have already shown willingness to learn about trans identities and issues, and I hope (and believe) that you will show the same willingness with my identity.
    I love you.
    Your child,
    Jesse

2. mtf trans girl

Out Status:
    A few people
    it sounds great, well said, well thought out, respectfull, great, hope it goes well for you

3. Jellal

This is well phrased. I prize myself on my editing ability, and I don't think this needs editing. Looks to me like you've made all your key points and gotten through with the goal you set in writing this letter. It's focused and to the point. I hope that it turns out for the best. <3

4. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    It's really good! I really can't subtract or add anything in particular.

Hope it all goes well! *thumbs crossed*

<3

5. gman777

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sound awesome great job! (!)(!)(!)

6. ApexxShadow

I love it! it's great