1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by BluhImCourtney, May 18, 2015.

1. BluhImCourtney

So earlier, I was taking a practice test for US History, and I had to fill in the top section with all the stuff (name, date, birthday, and... gender...)

The gender section only had "Male" and "Female", so I didn't have any wiggle room.

When I saw that, I was regretting even coming to school. I really wanted to put female, but I'm currently socially and legally accepted as "male", so I didn't know what to do.

But the teacher came over to help me fill in the confusing parts of the top, and then... we got to the gender section. I felt like bursting out in tears. I hated selecting the "male" one, but I was right in front of the teacher, and I didn't want things to be awkward or anything.

In the end, I only half filled in the "male" bubble, and next period, my psych teacher said, "hello sir/gentleman" again, and I just started quietly sobbing.

This all made me wonder, when you all had to do stuff like this, and there was no "other" option to avoid having to talk about it (or if "other" really describes your gender identity), which did you choose? If you selected your birthsex to avoid conversation, did you feel horrible afterwards? Would you have gone back and changed it if you did?

2. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think that there is a right and wrong answer here about what choice to make, it's about how you felt at the time and your choice holds little significance in the grander scheme of things. It says nothing about you and when you feel ready for it, you always have the option to go and talk with the teacher about it. I'm sure in the future, you will have similar choices to make and as time passes it will become easier and easier to mark your true gender.

View it as part of your journey, the fact that you felt uncomfortable about it might indicate that you are growing and moving forward and eventually, the discomfort will be so great that you will feel the need to mark your real gender and you will feel a huge sense of relief for doing so.

I hope you feel better soon. (*hug*)

3. BluhImCourtney

Thanks. Not sure if I feel better, but thanks.

I'm planning on attending school next year as a girl, so maybe then. I'm just afraid of people making fun of me, kind of been bullied by some other classmates a bit. ._. Hell, even some teachers haven't been too nice sometimes, which explains why I'm reluctant to outright tell my teacher. >_>

Aaaaaaannnnd that was really long-winded for no reason, sorry, I'm still kind of half asleep. ._.

Anyways, thanks again.

4. Im Hazel

It seems unfair that society is like this, and I hate it myself. I have to write my male name on tests, and it's rubbish. I don't think I have to put "boy/girl", but that would suck it I had to. I hate school quite a bit in general for that reason.

5. BluhImCourtney

Yeah, I feel the same about writing my male name, too.

And it was a practice test for the finals, so that's why there was the gender thing.

6. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    These days when I find a section marked sex I put female, because my biological sex is female, but if the section is marked gender I put male since that is closet to what I identify as. If someone ask I explain, but since it mostly is online no one questions.

7. BluhImCourtney

Yeah, it's easier to mark the gender on online forms, but this test was kind of in person, and the teacher was right there, and... yeah... ._.

8. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes I do see the problem there.

I would say since it is a fairly important test for your school career that you should go with biological sex, since that is what they most likely mean. If it was just a simple test that didn't count much I would go with your prefer gender.

9. Acm

Acm Guest

For official things like tests I always put female, especially if there's someone else around, but it makes me feel bad afterwards.

10. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always cringe when I see only those two options. >.< Even though I can easily put female, I am greatly disturbed by there only being two choices. Sometimes I wish I could ask what I should do if I'm not a boy or a girl.

11. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I hate filling out those so much! Mine never have an "Other" option. I always pick "Female" to avoid any awkward situations, but I always feel like going home and hiding in my bed. It picks my dysphoria up to high.

12. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I remember how painful those days were. I remember staring at the "gender" portion of my state testing and SAT papers for a good five minutes before I swallowed my pride and checked my legal status. It was awful. :/

13. Ghosts

I hate that they only two options on test, like there is more genders it just makes me uncomfortable. It's not even just tests either, websites and health places have it to and it frustrates me so much. Ugh

14. BluhImCourtney

... Wow, okay, I get dozens of replies (exaggeration), and I don't get any email notification. Huh.

Anyways, I think when I took my PSATs, they had an other option. I may be wrong, it was a few months ago, I may have forgotten.

Also, not sure if I should put this here or the small victories thread, but my psych teacher FINALLY stopped saying "Sir" today. As I was leaving (I was the last one out) and we said bye, she said, "Seeya later, sweetie."

God that felt so much better. ._.

And earlier in the class, she referred to me by name; it's better than sir, at least.

Knowing my luck, she's probably going to go back to sir tomorrow, but still.

15. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Same here. Moreover the question is not needed when your name gives this info anyways, at least most of the names.

I used to experience acute pain in my rear end when they asked me this, even as I was a child. Back then I felt fear about the transformation and I remember clearly myself trying hard to stay in denial about puberty.

Nowadays, being an adult, I take any chance to put 'male'. On the other hand social dysphoria is still there, and that damned question is part of it.

It will end, you'll make it end, and then you'll learn not to live on the past, to look beyond where you were and even, if you work hard on it, where you are right now. You really need to develope a thick skin, and an even ticker skull, 'cause it's way too noisy and damned cold out there.