1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bathing suits and Binders

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by David21201, May 18, 2015.

1. David21201

Alrighty guys. It's summer...kinda. I was wondering about bathing suits and binding.

Is it safe to swim while wearing a binder (or 3 sports bras in my case)?

Are there any bathing suits that'll flatten my chest? Or do I need to have boobs when I swim? Also, how the hell do you measure swim trunks??

This feels very vague but basically I'm paranoid that if I'm having a guy day that'll ill be stuck being uncomfortable. Any advice would be fantabulous!

2. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No idea on the binding, but generally men's trunks are sold in small-medium-large-xl etc... Sizing charts are available and refer to a range of waist size in inches (i.e. med=32-34 in waist). Beware this can vary from brand to brand, and some models within one brand will work better with some body types than others. You may also want to look up "rashguards", a type of usually tight-fitting t-shirt for swimming/surfing (models for men and women).

3. TraceElement

I'm dfab, and only wear guys board shorts when I am dealing with water. I suggest going to the store and trying some on. I generally wear 2 sports bras and a moisture wicking guys athletic shirt for a top. Russells (a brand you can find at walmart) has good ones.

4. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whether binding is safe for you while you're swimming depends on how tight your 'binder' is. Does wearing the three sports bras restrict your breathing? Is it tight enough to be significant and noticeable? (I would guess yes, seeing as it's working as a binder). I wouldn't recommend wearing more than one or two while swimming. It's important that you're able to breathe. There are swim binders which are made to be safe for swimming, if that's an option for you.

Rash guards are a great idea. As far as swim trunks go, it's better if you can try them on. If you're doing it online though, the individual brands will have sizing charts and you can compare your measurements to that. Sometimes as a dfab person there won't be a size that perfectly lines up because your proportions might be different. With some effort and maybe a bit of compromise, you should be able to find something that works just fine :slight_smile:

5. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with Jesse. There are binders made for swimming, but it's all about how tight you bind, as that restricts your breathing. Rash guards are awesome if you can find them.

6. David21201

Ok, so my binder doesn't restrict my breathing...surprisingly. So should it be ok to wear it while swimming?

I've just been freaking out since I'm going to a water park next week for a school trip. If I'm in a "guy mood" I don't want to be dysphoric....and all uncomfortable

7. Ronin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It sounds like you aren't going to be doing extensive exercise while swimming? You're probably fine, especially if you don't feel it affecting your breathing.

A word of caution though, if you're using pull-over vs clasp, zipper, or velcro, you MIGHT have a "fun" time getting it off when your done. Wet binders reaaaally cling to you and it can be tricky... don't know how it will be for sports bras. Just giving you a heads up on that. Maybe try it on in the shower first and see how your binders do when water-logged.

As others suggested, you can get a cheap athletic shirt at Walmart but if you're going to a water park or pool, look up (or call for) the regulations for swimwear. They might be picky about T-shirts. I got in "trouble" for wearing an athletic shirt in my gym's swimming pool. If that's an issue, you can get a fairly inexpensive swim rash guard on amazon or maybe a sports store or swim shop (as others have mentioned). Just make sure it's the swimming rash guard and not the martial arts one which are a bit different I think? (Not sure on that) If you can use a t-shirt, I recommend using that if "curves" are a problem/bother you as rash guards show aaaalll your curves lol. They are very unforgiving.

Another option. Go to a used scuba shop if you have one, or maybe there's one online, or maybe you can find a good sale/deal. But neoprene. Wetsuits. I haven't tried this myself, but they can apparently have a very good compression effect. You can get a simple 2-3mm neoprene vest and that should do the trick. But can get expensive when full-price and new. If you plan on doing a lot of swimming, it might be something worth investing in.

Anyways, happy swimming! Hope you find something that works for you.

8. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it should be okay. Just be careful. If it starts to hurt or if you find it does end up restricting your breathing, get out of the water and take it off. As long as you're not doing too much physical activity you should be fine, but be cautious.