1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unsure about my gender, I may be transgender?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Blakeee, May 19, 2015.

1. Blakeee

I've kind of questioned my gender identity before and acknowledged that I have both feminine and masculine traits. I had a strange dream that made me think I may be transgender though. The dream was a bit strange, it started out with me at a party (I was male) and it was fun and all and eventually it ended. I felt kinda like an average dream but then the dream "restarted" and I was female and it felt a bit different but somehow a bit better. I especially liked my new feminine voice. The dream continued for a bit and it was fun but eventually it ended. When I woke up, I just thought about it for a while. I'm still very confused about it, though. I always have felt a little dysphoria and a bit disconnected but I just kinda went with it, with me as a male but I don't know now. How did you know you were transgender (if you are) and do you think I'm experiencing the same thing you experienced? Thanks in advance.

2. Im Hazel

I don't really know how I knew. There was no "snap" moment, where I realised. I guess I had that moment when realising I was genderqueer to some degree about a year before, but not when realizing that I'm actually trans. (As a sidenote, I have only just remembered that thing.) I mean, I started reading around on here, and just felt like I identified with various transgender / non-binary individuals. I realized that I'd been having severe dysphoria for a while (I just thought that it was body insecurity + depression, or something). Maybe you could try reading the stories of some trans(*) people? I don't know about the dream. It's kind-of rich in symbolism, and dreams can be meaningful. So take from it what you will.

Do you feel as if you want to identify as female? Do you feel as if you want to be perceived as female? If yes, then you could well be transgender. Substitute female for other labels as appropriate.

3. SebaUnicorn

Out Status:
    A few people
    Dreams are just dreams, I guess.

But...I think that if you actually started considering a possiblility of being trans, it means that you are likely to be trans(some kind of).
    Being trans means that your gender and sex don't match in 100%. In your case, they don't seem to match, you're not cis then. If they were matching, you wouldn't have dysphoria.

I can't say that I knew I was trans from the very beginning.
    Actually I realised a couple of months ago. And then everything started to be clearer(and very, very confusing at the same time). I realised that I have had some kind of dysphoria for a long time, I just didn't know that was it.
    Now it seems pretty obvious to me and I can't believe it how blind I was.

I think you should read some other people's stories. It really helped me, it helped me realise that I have a lot in common with trans people. Some stories seemed to have been written about myself.

4. Blakeee

Hi, thanks for responding! I may be experiencing something similar to you. I don't feel exactly right and I've felt that way for a while but I'm still kind of confused. I'm pretty sure my gender and sex don't match 100% but I don't feel a horrible feeling of dysphoria, it's just a little bit, like whenever I see myself in the mirror it just doesn't look exactly like how I want to see myself. I'm still kind of trying to figure this out. Thanks for helping!