1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Filling out forms

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Outlier, May 20, 2015.

1. Outlier

Last week I went to schedule a tattoo and had to fill out the deposit form. I didn't know what to do for my name. I had a mini inner moment of panic and just put my legal name, but then regretted it, but I still don't know if I legally needed to put that name anyway. I really have no idea what kind of forms I legally need to fill out with my legal name and which ones I can put my name on. I know I can put my legal name and then my name in () or vice versa, but then I get anxiety about outing myself. I don't pass and don't really want to bring MORE attention to myself most times, especially in places where I don't know how they will react and a negative reaction could directly affect me. However, since I chose Alex and it's kinda andro, I feel like if thats the only name they see then they're not going to think twice about it <<<< that's probably just being paranoid.

Anyway, any insight?

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my experience, piercing/tattoo shops are some of the most laid back environments around, so I wouldn't worry too much about feeling like you're going to be interrogated or be in a situation where you're made to feel uncomfortable.

From what I remember the last time I went to a shop, it was one or two pages of stuff. Think of it as filling out papers at your doctor's office, where you put down some contact information and such; as well as including your driver's license or state ID. If it makes you really uncomfortable, you could probably include Alex at name line of the page and just tell the person taking your stuff to the front that if they use your name to just address you by that.

I haven't had my name changed yet, and I've never heard my birth name being said in several years there. I don't think me or my partner get misgendered when we go in to get work done, and he's in the same boat as me--plus we bind and have some facial hair going on. I'm sure you'll be just fine.

3. Outlier

Thanks, AJ. I know I probably don't need to worry about it. It's just so awkward. The guy who is doing my tattoo is also the one who did my paperwork so he's seen and used my legal name and I didn't correct him. I have a hard time doing that. It's like my anxiety about it doesn't let my brain catch up to do what I need to do until the moment has passed and then I feel like it's too late to correct them without making it weird. I'm over thinking it.

It's not just there though, with forms, I just don't know what types of situations I'm required to disclose my legal name on them and which ones I can skip it. I'd love to avoid having to even give my legal name anywhere I can.

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ugh, same here. I do my best to avoid having to use my legal name whenever possible, which is why I've stopped buying scratch offs and haven't ordered any drinks when I'm in social situations. I'm sure your tattoo artist would be chill about it if you said you prefer to be called Alex. I doubt he'll ask intrusive questions, but if he does you could just say it's a middle name that's become a nickname for you. If you're worried about being misgendered, is there a way you can bring someone with you who uses your pronouns? I found that having people with me who do that decreases the changes of being misgendered, then again I'm sure many people use gender neutral terminology when talking with clients sometimes.

Totally random, but where are you going and can you show us some pics of your ink when it's done? It's always really cool to see more of the modded community pop up :slight_smile:

5. Outlier

I'm ALWAYS misgendered. It's just default. Being pre-everything with a huge chest (even when binding) and super femme voice SUCKS. But!!!! I'm getting on T really soon!!!! I can't wait! But, for now, correcting my gender IS coming out, so I just have to choose when doing that isn't helpful or safe. I don't really go a lot of places, so it's usually not a thing or I just let it go... I mean, I'll tell them my name, but pronouns usually are a non-issue.

I'm not sure if saying where I'm going is against the rules or not, but yeah, I'll try to remember to post a pic. I'm getting a cover up this time (I have 5 tattoos currently). I think it's going to be pretty awesome.

6. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I only asked because I heard of a cool shop in the Ann Arbor area that's on my bucket list of places to check out at some point. And congrats on starting T soon :slight_smile:

7. Outlier

Oh, nope, I'm near Flint. What's the place in Ann Arbor called?

8. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pangea Piercing. They have a Youtube channel showcasing information about body jewelry, stretching tips, and other things relating to body modification.

9. Outlier

Looks cool, but I think they only do piercings and not tattoos.

10. Outlier

It'll need a little touching up in a few weeks, but it's done!

Dragon Tattoo.jpg

11. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone