1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

confusion on my gender identity.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by mrtoilet, May 20, 2015.

1. mrtoilet

I'm a girl (assigned at birth) but lately I've been feeling more like a boy actually so much like a boy I feel like I'm FTM which kind of scares me because I just came out to my mom saying I was gender fluid and she didn't believe me and now I'm trying to claim I'm FTM.... I just would love some insight.
    ever since I was a kid I loved skirts and dresses and preferred to be in with the girls, of course I loved more boy things but I always wanted girls as friends. at the age of 10 I realized I had a thing for liking girls and girls parts more than guys and at that time I wished I were a guy so that I could date girls but I knew it'd never be once I was told I'm a girl and always will be. I started to wear guy clothes, and do guy gender roles. I cut my hair and now I'm looking up everything on trans gender males. I strongly feel like I was born to be a boy except for the fact my mom doesn't believe me.

you see 3 years ago I was raped at a party and ever since I have told my mom everything about me, the I like girls thing and I prefer not to wear girl clothes and I like guy pronouns but she strongly believes it's all because of the trauma of being raped and so I am now believing her in it's all just a "faze" and It makes me depressed and sad.

please someone help me understand?

2. Sevan

Hi!

First off, I'm sorry to hear that your mom is having a hard time believing you. I know it's tough, especially when you're questioning your gender, to get the support you need when someone is unwilling to believe you. The first thing you might want to address with her is that a shift in gender identity is a pretty atypical traumatic response, and usually happens with same-sex situations (though I don't know the situation you endured). This is, however, just from what I've read. And I'm DEFINITELY NOT qualified to diagnose you and am certainly not trying to.
    Second, you might want to tell her you are questioning your gender.
    If she didn't believe you were genderfluid, just try to cover that up for now with questioning.

There's a whole array of different genders to explore, including many lesser known ones. If you're unsure you fall into the binary category (which would be FTM) then I would recommend looking into the different genderqueer identities and seeing if one of them is something you feel more comfortable with.

There are a lot of people here on EC you can consult on different gender identities. If you need someone to talk to, feel free to drop a message on my wall.

3. mrtoilet

thank you very much.
    this helped me a little bit.
    is it alright if you could answer one last question?

is it possible to me FTM even if you don't think you have a total male mind... like I think more male then female but I do have some what of a female mind.... I guess that's how I could put it. I just have always wanted a male body... I've been in this boring woman shell so long I just want to know what it's like being a guy.. maybe it sounds crazy and I can't put it into right words but it's sort of just a question I've been thinking.

4. 6amb

If you feel male but also female you may be bigender. Sorry for my short answer but I don't know much about the subject.

5. SebaUnicorn

Out Status:
    A few people
    I think it is possible.
    Gender is a spectrum, trans guys are are not all super masculine nor cis guys.
    It's more about the gender the person identifies with, than about some features of the personality or mind.

Or maybe you're a demiguy...?

6. Sevan

I think it might be worthwhile to look into SebaUnicorn's suggestion. Demiguys are people who are partially male and partially another gender. For example, 75% male and 25% female or 66% male and 33% agender. You might strive for a male body because the majority of your gender identity is male.

I hope that makes sense!

7. Acm

Acm Guest

Sure it's possible, but what exactly do you mean when you say male mind or female mind?