1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Binder question

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Sebby45, May 21, 2015.

1. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I've been wearing a binder for the last few days and love it. However, it comes with some muscle pain in my sternum and esp. my back. Is this normal when binding at first? Or should my binder cause me to feel nothing abnormal?

Sebby

2. Sevan

I'm not so sure that is normal, because when I started binding, I didn't get those muscle pains. Are you certain your binder is in the right size?

I'm sure that someone will come along with an explanation, or possibly their own experience and solution. For now, that's the only thing I could think of that might cause it.

3. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Sevan,

I did make sure to buy the right size, but who knows....darn clothing sizes!
    I'm starting to think it is because I've been wearing it all day after not having worn it at all. For several days straight due to dysphoria. I'm taking a break today to see how I'll feel.

4. Ronin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When you say muscle pain what do you mean? Is it possible that you are now standing up straighter and your muscles are just not used to it yet? I know that when I go from slouching all the time to standing up straight my back muscles can become tired and sore.

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Giving yourself a break after a long stretch of wearing it is a good idea. I know I tend to have more pain from it when I am wearing it for long periods. I try to line up times when I am able to take my binder off. I also have a slightly looser one that I wear when I am wearing looser fitting shirts. You just have to figure out what your body can handle, and that takes time sometimes.

6. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When you're first starting to wear a binder, you shouldn't wear it all day. The normal recommended max is 8 hours, but you really should build up to that (a few hours the first day, an hour or two more the next, etc.), especially since it's causing you pain. Take a day off and when you wear it again, only wear it for a few hours.