1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on gender identity and expression.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by kailashes, May 26, 2015.

1. kailashes

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi so I'm 17 and for most of my life have identified as male. Then a couple of years ago I accepted my sexuality and since then have begun to question my gender identity more and more. I don't think I've really felt dysphoria as such but I do dislike whenever I can see any hint of my penis and wish my body could be more feminine sometimes. I've touched upon exploring a more diverse gender expression like I want to wear makeup more and explore different clothing but I just don't feel I can because 'boys' wearing 'girls' clothing is so often a joke by those around me. I just don't want to feel restricted by peoples expectations of gender and I'm not bothered what pronouns people use. I just don't really know where to go from here and as cliché or cringy as it may sound I just want a chance to explore who I am.

Anyway I was just wondering if anybody had any advice or have been in a similar situation or just anything really.

2. Jellal

My advice is to do some of it in private. See how it makes you feel for yourself on your own without getting other people involved. Try to realize whether you're expressing something integral to yourself when you "explore who you are." That will help you figure out just how much you'd want to take the next step and express yourself more publically.

There's a boy I met a couple weeks ago who wears a dress and keeps a flower in his hair. While it's definitely anomalous, it doesn't hurt anyone, and he seems happy to express himself in his own way. He's definitely more feminine than I am, at least from my perspective. And he very much sees himself as a guy. So, this is a world that takes all kinds. A preference for something masculine or feminine doesn't necessarily determine gender—something to keep in mind.

3. kailashes

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah that seems like good advice. I'm just always scared my family will see me wearing makeup or something. I know there should be no problem with it but I brought a t-shirt from the womens department the other week (it was just adventure time :slight_smile: ) and my mum made a joke about it as soon as she saw it idk it just makes me nervous.

4. heandsheisme

I was in a similar situation when I wanted to start crossdressing (not realizing where it would lead me). My family knows about the crossdressing, and while they don't care, it does come with the implicit understanding that it is a private thing. I can only really wear what I want when my parents are out of the house, and it sucks. :icon_sad:

If you want to get started wearing womens clothing to see what it means to you, if anything, get some underwear and a baby doll or two. I sleep in them myself and it is so comfy. As for underwear, it is something that pretty much no one will see. But make sure that any underwear you get has elastic at least on the waist, preferably around the leg holes, otherwise the women's underwear will either fall down or your bait & tackle will fall out. It can get very irritating.

If you have any questions, just ask! This forum is here for that! Best of Luck (*hug*)