1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't want to wear a dress.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by staries, May 29, 2015.

1. staries

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey everyone! It's been a while since I've been in here...anyway, let's not beat around the bush. I've been wondering how I would deal with this situation for the longest, and it's finally here, in a week exactly I should say. Every promoting class of my school has a dance, the 8th grade dance. The dress code is semi-formal and all of the girls are talking about cute dresses and makeup and heels. I am definetly not into that type of stuff and I don't want to wear a dress. What should I do? I'm completely clueless.

2. Ghosts

I plan to wear a button up and a tie to my dance thing because thats what I'm comfortable wearing, what are you comfortable wearing? I know its not a dress so dont wear a dress

3. Miko

Miko Guest

I would say either don't go at all or if you do then just don't wear a dress. Sure you may get some kids being jerks to you but you'd probably not wanna be friends with people like that anyway.

I've often wondered what would happen if I was forced to wear something I didn't want to. I guess I'd just not wear it. If I had to to go to a certain event and if there was no way to get in without dressing up in a way I don't want to then I'd just put up with it. Really depends on the strictness of the dress code and how much I'd wanna go. ^-^

4. staries

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm comfortable wearing masculine clothes, that would make me the happiest. Thanks for responding too.

---------- Post added 29th May 2015 at 08:10 PM ----------

The teachers wouldn't care what I wore unless it was provocative but besides that they should be fine and not too strict. It's just the convincing my parents and most likely having to explain myself to my friends. Thanks for responding by the way.

5. Miko

Miko Guest

You're most welcome! I'd say wear whatever you'd like to wear then, if you want a good excuse I'd say that you've just been feeling very self-conscious and that wearing a dress would make you feel anxious and could ruin the dance for you.

If they pressure you just say you don't want to talk about it yet and leave it at that.

Your friends? I'd imagine you could just say you didn't feel like wearing a dress, then use the above excuse if needed. ^-^

6. thesonoferik

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You could wear a suit, but it will be making a statement.

7. Ravienclaw

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    If you don't want to wear a dress and it would make you uncomfortable, then don't. You could always wear a suit, or if you're not ready to take that step yet maybe an outfit with pants instead of a skirt (nice pants, not jeans). If they ask, you could simply tell your friends you don't like wearing dresses. Plenty of people don't. They probably won't ask many more questions after that ;P

8. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can get away with wearing a suit if that makes you feel comfortable.

9. David21201

alright, i had the same problem a few days ago with MY 8th grade dance and graduation. I begged my parents to buy me slacks saying they were for concert season. For graduation/dance I'll be wearing a white button down, slacks, and a tie. You can easily buy such things at Walmart. Good luck

10. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    My friend and promdate who is genderfluid and afab will be wearing a suit :slight_smile:

Wear what's comfy for your body and mind! :slight_smile:

11. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Don't wear that thing, just don't...

Ask around, for instance your techers, and if you can't wear a suit, refuse to go.

12. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would do what makes you feel the most comfortable. Even though I was not out in high school, I never wore s dress to school events. I always wore a suit or something that was more masculine. I live in a pretty conservative area and I never got in trouble for it. Some people asked questions. I just told them that I was more comfortable in what I was wearing.