1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm afraid

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Rainbows~Exist, May 30, 2015.

1. Rainbows~Exist

So this is the first time in my entire life where I've felt a... I'm not sure, "change" in my perception of my own gender identity and where I fit. I know there isn't really need to categorize yourself but I'm not sure if I'm questioning this, if it's been a hidden part of me or if I just want to experiment with my identity.

Now, I suppose I've always had an inclination of my sexual orientation for as long as I can remember but not so much with my gender. I know that I'm effeminate and I'll admit I really like some aspects of the 'girly girl' life style (The stereotypical one e.g. makeup, shopping e.t.c.) but I'm having a hard time deciding if this is a part of me and if it is, should I embrace it? I'm really afraid of the judgement I may receive and I'm really confused at the moment so any advice or stories from people in a similar situation would prove invaluable to me.

Thank you!

2. Acm

Acm Guest

Are you questioning because you're effeminate, and like girly things? Lots of guys are like that, it doesn't necessarily mean they have a different gender identity. There can be a lot of judgement towards effeminate guys, but I don't think it's something to be ashamed of, if you feel like that's who you are, I say embrace it. Of course only you can say who or what you really are, and I don't know your full situation but I hope this helps.

3. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Being effeminate and liking makeup and other stereotypically feminine stuff doesn't necessarily mean you're not male. You can be a completely cisgender man who likes stereotypically feminine stuff. Is there anything else that makes you think you're not male? I don't mean to discourage you from exploring your gender identity, but it could be possible that you're simply a feminine man (which is something you should totally embrace as part of your identity as a person, but it's not necessarily part of your gender identity).

4. Rainbows~Exist

I'd just like to say thank you guys. You've really helped to spread light on my situation and I've realised that I'm probably just over thinking this...

5. witchile

Out Status:
    Some people
    Liking femme stuff doesn't necessarily mean you were ever the gender you were assigned at birth (male?), either. I didn't question my gender until I was nineteen or twenty. But when I read about genders outside the binary it was like I woke up, it was shocking how I suddenly had something to explain how I felt towards gender. That I didn't have to be male or female, girl boy whatever.

Gender is so flexible. You don't have to settle on your gender, ever. You can try on labels just to see how they fit and reject them later. Or keep them. It's completely up to you. Whatever your identity or however much it changes you deserve respect.

So yes! I would embrace your femme side! It doesn't mean you always have to be femme, but it's def worth investigating! There are people who judge if you go outside the binary, but you can try things on your own if you're scared. It's OK to be scared, it's OK to stay safe. Try make up or outfits at home, or go out somewhere you feel comfortable.

I don't think you're overthinking. For thousands of years ppl have been persecuted for not sticking to gender. But we haven't always had the binary (not that it's bad to identify with the binary either!). Some labels that you might find helpful if you google are gender fluid and non-binary.