1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not Trans Enough?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by kaatkid, May 30, 2015.

1. kaatkid

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not really sure how to explain this, but I'' try my best haha.

So recently, my gender identity has been slowly shifting from very vaguely non-binary (demi boy?) to non-binary. I'm AMAB (I apologize if I'm not allowed to use that terminology) and I present as what would be considered masculine, just because that's what I'm comfortable with. I've also been more keen on the idea of using they/them pronouns, perhaps exclusively.

My problem, if that's what it should be called, is that I feel like because I'm still ok with people calling me a guy and using he/him pronouns, I'm "lying"? This might change with time, but I feel like I'm not supposed to call myself non-binary because of this? This all probably sounds confusing, but I promise that it makes sense in my head!

But anyways, am I irrational for thinking this?

2. kaotyc

I don't think it would be considered lying if you consider yourself non-binary but are comfortable with people calling you he/they. It's your personal preference. But, as you said, you might be feeling weird about it for now. Maybe later on it won't feel that way to you.

3. Entrian

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Feeling "not trans enough" is a huge problem in the nonbinary community but it's complete bullshit tbh (excuse my language). It's not exactly irrational you feel this way, but it is definitely unneeded! There's no such thing as not being "trans" enough, because being trans is just a thing you are just as much as being human or any other label you use. Being comfortable with yourself isn't a competition and as long as you're true to yourself no one can really tell you otherwise.