1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is anyone else avoiding gender procedures?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by PlantSoul, May 30, 2015.

1. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Around the time I turned 18, the subject of going to a gynaecologist and getting annual pap smears and breasts checks was brought up, much to my chagrin. Since then, the subject is brought up to me, at least once a year, and I always forget.

I really don't have any intention of (ever) going through with this. Besides, as pissed off and offended as I get when this subject gets brought up, can you just imagine how I'd be if actually decided to go through with this?

2. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I avoid them like the plague.
    I had a pap smear when I was 13 and it was the most awful experience in my life. I just remember feeling awkward and crying and not talking for a whole day. Everyone said I was being a baby about it.
    My doctor said I could wait to get one till I was 21 since I wasn't sexually active, but I never went to have it done. I really don't want to. I rather have a finger up the butt than the shit Arab have.

3. Acm

Acm Guest

I'm never going to have one. I know you're supposed to for health reasons or whatever, but I can't. The last time I went to a (regular) doctor they peeked down my pants for like a second and it made my dysphoria skyrocket, I came close to a panic attack later because of it. I don't think I'd be able to have one of those.

4. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm too much of an anxious rule follower to actually avoid going to the gynecologist (though I refused to be the one to suggest it, so I haven't technically been yet :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:), but I certainly would if I could. I get dysphoric over how often it's referred to as "women's health" stuff; god knows how I would survive an actual exam.

5. matiasz94

matiasz94 Guest

Hi, Fem Studies major here lol. Yeah this is a problem in the trans* community. Trans/non-binary health should be the top priority, but it is difficult to face. I hate anything where I have to check boxes or am asked about my cycle and don't see myself going to a gyno anytime soon. Idk why small changes like wording can't happen in order to make people feel more included and less terrible about taking care of themselves.

6. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I literally just wrote a post freaking out about a "female exam." Wow.

Yeah I get sick just thinking about it. Frankly, I never intend on getting any sort of in-depth exam down there unless my life depends on it. Dysphoria just goes WAY UP. Not to mention I'm already insanely private - nobody's seen me naked since I was a toddler.

The one time a doctor just "peeked" I almost threw up I was so nervous. That was 4 years ago, and the last time I went to the doctor. In fact, they said I had high blood pressure that day (which is no doubt because I was having a freaking panic attack the whole time). Seriously, though, every time a "physical" is mentioned I start hyperventilating just because of that one part. If I ever had to go to a gyno I would die. I'm just not doing it. Don't care. Not doing it. Never, ever, ever. Did I say never?