1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would I have been an Extrovert if I wasn't trans?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Kodo, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I come from a homophobic/transphobic family, so being trans* for me was essentially being sentence to a life of shame and loneliness. I won't go full on here, because I want to get to a point that my brother brought up.

He says he think I'd have been extraverted if I had grown up in a different way, and been accepted like this, not conditioned to hate myself and be so reserved. This was a really interesting point that I hadn't thought of before. Do you guys think this is true?

This is how I consider it: Your personality is fluid, and changes throughout your life. As a child growing up to the late teen years which I'm in now, I've always been very reserved. Well as a little kid I suppose I was more open and free since gender expectations weren't yet shoved on me.

But it seems that the more I learned about what is was to "be a girl" and the older I got, the more cold and distant and hurt I became. I wasn't happy being that, but didn't want anyone to know. I hid that part of myself because I was ashamed of it. Deep down, I knew I wanted to be a boy - that I was a boy - only I could never say it. My father is another factor. I have always looked up to him so much, and my siblings claimed that I was his favorite. He's a really reserved, intelligent type but is also very judgmental and decisive. And he hates gays, and trans*people. And that just kills me.

For this reason I think that I tried to force myself to be his daughter, but it got so tiring. It came to be that I started presenting two versions of myself. The mask: a quirky, quiet daughter who was everything my parents wanted. And me: a struggling young man who hated himself for who he was. I pulled every true bit of myself inward. Never told anyone. Became alone and friendless. When I looked around at other people - I saw no reason to interact with them. I was an alien and they would never understand me, so why bother? And that mentality - along with other pre-existing factors - became cemented into my personality, creating one of the most introverted people possible It's funny, on personality tests I think I scored 80-100% Introverted.

But all of this is to say: would I have been extroverted, or at least ambiverted, had I been conditioned differently? Will my personality change once I start transitioning? As I look at myself now I think I'm too far gone to ever be a peppy extrovert, and am proud of my introvertedness. Just a thought though...

2. AlexTheGrey

It is a possibility. I guess one question that might help is asking yourself, how often do you have something you want to say or do with friends, but don't for some reason or another? And is that reason related to how people might see you, or how they might judge you?

People will call me introverted, but I'm not really sure myself anymore. There are things I want to say, or a joke I might want to make, but don't because of how I might be perceived. Even though I know, with certainty, that they wouldn't judge me for it. For me, the big thing is that I do like to just read by myself at times, but I do enjoy the company of friends. I just find large gatherings tiring and draining. But I'd be incredibly happy hanging out with a small group of friends. Some of that is considered introverted behavior, perhaps, but the fact that there are things I don't share with friends, that I want to? That's not introversion, that is self censorship.

As for personality shifts during or after transition, it does happen. People who self censor can overcome it, and if their censorship is around their gender identity (or even sexual orientation in some cases), then transitioning tends to force someone to overcome those barriers to do it. And there are plenty of other reasons why it can get better. But I think part of the key here is: do you behave in an introverted way because it makes you feel better, calmer, and happier? Or are you doing it to avoid feeling unhappy, rejected, or hated?

3. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good points.

I am for all intents and purposes extremely introverted. Both of the reasons you mentioned do apply to me.

Social situations are very draining. I don't have any friends so I cannot really answer how I would feel with any size group of friends...

Another thing which frustrates me is this: Socially I am alone - so no deep or even superficial relationships (unless you count online ones). But in reality I am constantly surrounded by people. My family is huge and there is always someone doing something around me, or coming into my room, or forcing me to talk to them. It's suffocating. I want to have some actual alone time but it's nearly impossible. So I wake up at 4:50am so I can sit outside, alone, with a cup of coffee.

I got on a bit of a tangent there but yeah...

Do I behave in an introverted way to avoid feeling unhappy, rejected, or hated? Yes too, but less so than the first question. I both enjoy being by myself and also do it because I fear opening up to people. I don't know them well enough to gauge how they will react, and struggle with reading people (and trusting people) in general. Me talking usually leads to misunderstanding so I just don't. And obviously I don't want my family, whom I love, to hate me.

I guess it all boils down to one thing... I just want to be understood, and recognize that I won't/cannot be, and thus subject myself to aloneness. This results in mixed feelings of happy independence as well as depressed isolation. This got really personal, I realize... But it's the truth.

4. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was raised by a father who trained me to think about how my actions reflect on him, and how a girl should act. I can remember hearing "girls swing their hips when they walk" and "girls don't seat with their legs on, those who do are asking for it." All that mixed in with "these F make you look like a retard and they reflect bad on me. Why couldn't you be like brothers."

I think I would of been more outgoing if I had been born male, I could of been myself without being told how I acted was wrong. But I would of still been a little closed off to people.

5. AlexTheGrey

Yeah, the way I see it, there are multiple components. There are things that make us relaxed, and happier individuals. Sometimes that is being alone and doing things alone, and that makes for an introvert. But sometimes it is because we are trying to censor ourselves for one reason or another.

The former shouldn't be considered an issue, IMO. It is healthy. But censoring ourselves is something we can change, and may with transitioning, just as a side effect of having to stop doing it for the transition to work for our benefit. And there are other effects from the transition which can affect how outgoing we are, but that gets a bit more nebulous and you can't really build a rule of thumb out of it, I don't think.

6. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think just the act of coming out and breaking gender expectations on our assigned sex can have the effect of making us more extroverted as well. It forces us to confront fear and anxiety to reach who we are, as well let us learn not to apologetic for who we are.

7. IceFox

Out Status:
    Family only
    I agree. I was very introverted until recently, when I started coming out. I think that the dysphoria and mismatch between and gender, can cause introversion as a coping mechanism.

8. itsmary

You can be extroverted. Just if you stop worrying about others. I swear two weeks ago I wouldn't talk to anyone or would blush if some strange talked to me. Now, I usually go for a walk at the park and meet people everyday. I tell them compliments and shake their hands. I have realized that I enjoy being surrounded by people

9. Acm

Acm Guest

I've wondered the same thing about myself. I can't help but wonder if my dysphoria caused me to be more introverted (most of my introversion comes from anxiety anyways, which I get a lot of from dysphoria)