1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shopping... Ugh

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by randomconnorcon, Jun 1, 2015.

1. randomconnorcon

I love shopping. That's weird for me to say, especially given the title, because I've grown so used to telling people I hate it. But I don't, I love shopping. I love finding new fandom t-shirts and cool shorts/jeans and - my dream - comic boxers.

Do you know what I hate? When Im taken shopping and I pick up any of these things and they say stuff like "Why can't you pick something nicer?" Or Why aren't you more girly?"

Well, I don't know. Maybe because I'm not a girl. Ugh.

Anyway. I'm going on a shopping trip with my grandmother and cousin for her 16th birthday and I want my comic boxers and I want my fandom t-shirts and I want something to wear for my night out with my stepmom.

And I need advice, because I don't know how to get these things - the boxers and the smart shirt/whatever I get for the night out more than anything else - without being asked the aforementioned questions or, worse, needing to come out.

(I say worse, partly because my Nan's freely admitted to being a nasty person so I don't want to go through that, but she's not violent or would disown me or anything. She's just quick with snide comments and disappointment. And she's not my parents, who I'm trying to build up the courage to tell first. No one else really matters in terms of coming out, I can deal with them later.)

Do any of you guys have some idea as to what I might be able to do?

2. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you don't mind lying, you could always say it's for a friend - their birthday or something.

Or you could get a friend who you trust to buy those things for you, but that does take the joy out of shopping.

Or you could just go by yourself to get them?

Hope this helped a bit.
    -Rhys-

3. randomconnorcon

I don't mind lying in general. The thought crossed my mind, but they'll be stuff I'll wear frequently and I don't want that biting me on the ass when she inevitably catches me wearing them.

I've told three friends in my real life about my being trans and they would shop for me. Sadly, they live in the south of England and I've moved back to the north for summer.

Going by myself is my most favored option, I think. All I've got in answer to her probable questions so far is "because I like them." Which is true, but I can only hope it'll end her questions.