1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Male voice

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Acm, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Acm

Acm Guest

Does anyone have any tips on how to deepen your voice? I already barely pass, and my voice is a dead giveaway. I've heard before that it helps to talk out of your chest, but I don't really understand what that means. :help:

2. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
  3. Acm

Acm Guest

Thanks!

4. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Some folks suggested me try to read an hour everyday using a deeper voice, also recording yourself to check progress.

There is a video on youtube about that deep humming and the king-kong bin-bong trick.

What worked a bit for me was to conciously talk deeper, everyday and everytime at all times, until it becomes an habit.

My family sometimes have to ask 'who is this' wwhen i call them, and some hve mentioned my voice has kind of changed so... It's worth a try I guess, but don't expect miracles from it.

5. Ronin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You probably already do speak from your chest voice, at least to some degree, without realizing it.

Chest voice is simply when the sound of your voice vibrates more in your chest cavity than in your head. This usually happens on lower notes. Head voice is simply when the reverberation happens in your head in certain spots. It should never reverberate in your nose except in certain consonants.

Plug your nose and try talking normally. Do you get weird sounds or do you sound normal for the most part? N, M, and NG sounds should sound weird but nothing else. Try talking in a way where when you plug your nose you sound normal (minus N, M, NG sounds). Even if someone is on T and has a deeper voice, this can still be an issue and cause a more effeminate or younger sound (not talking about inflection). On the other hand, you can over-do this. You'll want to record yourself to avoid over-doing it. Try to find a happy middle.

Speak low but comfortably. Going into vocal fry is an absolute "no". If you're not sure what vocal fry is, you can find lots of examples on YouTube and other sites. This can happen easily if you are trying to speak too low.

Also, was mentioned the "king kong bing bong ding dong" exercise. Do that with care. If anything feels sore, stop. Don't do anymore for the day.

How you speak is probably one of the most important factors. There's not a whole lot to be said here, other than slow down your speaking, with less inflection, speak more sharply, use fewer words by avoiding "filler" works ("like" and "so" are big ones). Many people are afraid to speak monotone, thinking that they'll end up sounding like an emotionless robot. It's less about being sing-songy, voice going up and down and all around, and more about emphasis. Listen to men on the radio and imitate them. You won't want to speak like that on a normal basis, just think of it as an exercise.
    After all that, what you have is what you have. You can't really change your instrument, just how you use it.

I do feel the need to add something. Personally, I do not find a lot of these things to be a reflection of who I am, but how I was socialized as well as having not been trained on how to speak to my fullest potential. I don't have any sentimental value to my speaking habits. But some people DO. And that's fine. If you are doing things and you feel like you are changing who you are, discard it. The most important thing above all is that you get to be you. That's the whole point of it all. The point isn't going from one box only to be constrained into a different one. Be YOU.

#5 Ronin, Jun 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015