1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to keep names straight?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by QuiteAlright, Jun 2, 2015.

1. QuiteAlright

Out Status:
    A few people
    I've been using my chosen name with the friends I spend the most time with and my SO, who I live with. So I've gotten into the habit of gently correcting people when they use my birth name. But for reasons I really don't want to get into, I cannot come out to my parents. It is 100% unfeasible and honestly a little dangerous at this point in time. So my parents still call me by my birth name. And more and more, I've just barely stopped myself from correcting my parents when they use my birth name. It's my knee-jerk reaction now. I've gotten so comfortable with my chosen name that my birth name sounds weird and wrong.

I still need to interact with my parents on a regular basis (absolutely no way around this) and they're not bad people but it is very important to my relationship with them that I not come out right now. Possibly at some later point, but not now. And suddenly correcting them about the name they gave me is probably the worst way to accidentally come out. So what can I do to keep my different names straight? How do I stop myself from messing this up?

Thanks.

2. witchile

Out Status:
    Some people
    That's tough. I always feel like I'm choking a little bit when people call me by my birth name or the wrong pronouns, I'm sorry you have to deal with that shit. I can't see a way to get around them calling you by the name they gave you without them being offended... Is there something you can wear when you're around them to remind you?