1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

so my family...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Kafei, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Kafei

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So my family can immediately start using the correct pronouns and name with Caitlyn Jenner (a celebrity they don't even like)...

...and yet they still act like me coming out as trans is something that never happened. :slight_smile:

It seems that according to them it's perfectly okay to be trans as long as it's not someone they claim to actually care about.

Ah, whatever. They'll have to face it sooner or later.

2. BluhImCourtney

Well, they haven't personally known Caitlyn for years.

They've known you for 18 years. They're too used to seeing you as their "daughter" rather than the son you are.

Just give them time. Transition is just as much for the parents, friends, family, associates, etc as it is for the individual.

3. Acm

Acm Guest

It's easier for people to do stuff like that for people they don't know or care about. It doesn't really affect them so it's alright in their view. My family is the same way.

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Like Acm said, it is easier for people when it is not somebody close to them. People have known you and addressed you as one way for many years, so that is something that takes time to change.

There is also less risk for them personally when it is somebody that they do not know in person.

5. fern

Out Status:
    Some people
    yeah - just like the others said - it's much easier for people to be "okay" with something when it doesnt directly affect their lives. calling you their son and using male pronouns does.

however! I think it's nice a bit that they're at least discussing Caitlyn and using proper prnouns for her because it shows that they are (or are work on being) okay with the concept of transgender people. they might just not be ready to see you that way yet....hopefully in time!

6. Kafei

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks everyone. I'm still feeling a bit bitter, but you're all helping me have a better understanding of their thought process.