1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Telling your (possible) future kids

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Kelp Krunch, Jun 6, 2015.

1. Kelp Krunch

I'm gonna try and not step on any toes here lol, which is why everything I say is pretty long winded and explanatory.

Anyways, I guess this doesn't apply to everybody, but for those who identify as trans and wish to have children (assuming that those who have children already at the time of transition are most likely forced to come out), would you tell your children? I feel like raising your children to be open-minded about lgbt-type things is something you would do, but do you necessarily need to tell them about yourself? For those who are non-binary, maybe it goes into the whole "non-traditional" family explanation your children inquire about when they see mother-father parental units. I certainly don't think it's a necessity, especially if you decide to live stealth, but, your children are family, do they deserve to know?

2. atoadaso

atoadaso Guest

I'm not currently looking to have children of course, but if I ever did, I think it would be kinda hard to keep from them. I don't consider it a necessity to be out to anyone about anything as long as you're comfortable that way. But, it'd be a really difficult thing to hide from someone you're sharing a home with. I probably wouldn't mention it to them when they're very young unless they asked me, just because toddler aged children don't seem to be that concerned with it to me. I'd tell them at some point, even if it never came up in conversation, just so they were aware of it.

3. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would tell my kids because it feels like a big secret to keep within your own home, and plus it's a good learning opportunity for the kids. I definitely want my kids to know what it means to be trans at a fairly young age (not like toddlers, but young), and I can't imagine telling them all about trans people while pretending not to be one.

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know if I'd ever tell my kids, but that's a long ways from now. I might be vocal about it or I might try to be stealth to them. I'm not sure as of right now.