1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

androgyne, agender, bigender?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ilovesg, Jun 7, 2015.

1. ilovesg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm having a hard time differentiating between these and trying to see which fits me the best. But I also feel like am I wasting my time? What's the point of trying to figure it out like, I'm not gonna tell anyone because it's hard to explain and I'm not asking anyone to call me different pronouns. I don't know what I feel exactly. I'm a girl but sometimes I want to be a guy. I don't know if that's like a normal thing that just happens or it means something. I like wearing gender neutral clothes the best. I think I'm worrying about this because I've been going to more formal events lately and it's hard to find something that I can wear. I feel uncomfortable in dresses and skirts but I don't feel manly enough to wear boy pants or a suit. It's all very confusing. Can someone who is more knowledgable help me? any feedback is appreciated thanks!

---------- Post added 7th Jun 2015 at 01:13 AM ----------

and also if I do not always feel 100% female, can I still call myself a lesbian? I'm so confused

2. shyguy102

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi there,
    *Double checking I didn't write this in my sleep* you pretty much described me!
    Except that I'm attracted to guys, not girls, so my question is "should I call myself gay??"

>> I'm a girl but sometimes I want to be a guy. I don't know if that's like a normal thing that just happens or it means something.

I have no idea, but I have the same thing. It also tends to come and go - some years I'll go without even thinking about, sometimes it annoys me when people refer to me as female, and then more recently I've gone for months obsessing about this question.

>> I've been going to more formal events lately and it's hard to find something that I can wear

Ugh, I feel your pain. Any chance you can rock up with black pants, a white collared shirt and a tie, and not look too out?

At least you identify as lesbian, I'm sure half my friends and colleagues think I'm secretly a butch lesbian and so deep in the closet I can't find my way out. If you dress like that I'm sure people will just shrug and think nothing of it (if you are out as lesbian, I'm assuming so?)

From what I've read, bigender people can switch genders on a daily basis, or they may go through many months, even years as one gender before switching to another. I tend to fall in this category so I identified at first as bigender. With thinking about it however, I started realising I feel more comfortable as male, so I may be transgender.

Agender - in my opinion, I don't think this fits you well. You say you are a girl, and sometimes a guy? Agender people tend to be uncomfortable with any gender label, or they don't perceive gender in the same way cis/trans* people do. They would be much happier if everyone could stop trying to pigeon hole them into a gender, thank you very much.

>>I don't feel manly enough to wear boy pants or a suit

Have you tried it? :slight_smile: Grab some thrift store pants and try going out in pants one day. Experiment and see where you end up. In my experience people tend to ignore women walking around in boy pants, girls are lucky that way - you can get away with a lot.

Have you tried cutting your hair super short - if so, how did that make you feel? "YES I LIKE THIS", or "Meh, it looks ok I don't really give a shit", or did it depend on your gender for that day (Some days you thought it was too manly, other days not manly enough). That might give you a clue as to how you experience your gender?

>> But I also feel like am I wasting my time

Depends, I would have said 10 years ago that yes, if you're not experiencing anxiety about your gender, then don't worry about it. Now that the gender issues have got 100x worse in my 30s I'm wondering if working it out back then would've helped settle me into my "real" identity quicker.

All the best :slight_smile:

3. ilovesg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I agree that agender isn't right for me. I've never cut my hair short because I'm scared and my mom would never let me lol, but today I wore a hat with all of my hair in it, and it felt kind of weird seeing me like that. Maybe I'm just not used to it, but I think I should experiment with that more. Tho problem I have with guy pants is that I wear baggy shirts and sweatshirts and I don't want to look like a slob lol so I usually wear tighter pants to balance the look you know? And I think it's great that your are beginning to understand your gender more now. It's never to late to find out things about yourself. thank you for your help!