1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The hell that is transgender visibility pride week

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Eveline, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This year they decided here to focus on transgender issues as part of pride week. I was thrilled when I learned about this and I was looking forward to see how everything will go. I have to say that I've been hating every moment of it. The problem is that there are multiple articles in the newspapers about being trans and pretty much all of them have been horrible. These are newspapers that my family reads and as they are as it is not at all accepting, it's so hard to read articles and know that there is a decent chance that they have already read them and that their view of being transgender has become even more negative.

So far I read three different articles. The first was an interview with a former trans prostitute who paints a highly sexualized fairly terrifying image of what life is like for someone who is trans. The second was a transphobic NYP article by a feminist who pretty much blames us for perpetuating stereotypical views of women. The third was about a reporter who lives one day of his life as a trans woman and tells wonderful stories of being treated as an alien and eventually getting sexually harassed by a creepy cab driver.

I really do hope that something good will come from this hellish week because truthfully, all I want to do is to close myself into my room and hide myself away until this is all over. :cry:

2. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sorry I just needed to rant... :frowning2:

I think that the living a day as a trans woman article was somehow the most annoying out of the three mainly because the writers don't make the disinction between a man cross-dressing and being trans. The fact that such an article was written during visibility week really points to a very serious problem. Articles are often writren by people who have no real knowledge of the subject matter. As such, they will often perpetuate existing myths. The interview with the trans-woman is also an example of this as the interviewer most likely asked questions that pertain to sexuality.

I wonder, what kinds of articles would work well for visibility week?

3. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm not surprised. It's the product of a society where being trans is classified as a mental illness.

To counter attack the press nowadays means to fight against financial interests. The only chance is to educate the population out there, on the streets.

It has been a long time since I read a honest, non biased article about politics or social issues.

Could you share some links?

4. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The two articles with the interview and living a day as trans were in paper newspapers not in English so I can't really link to them. The feminist article was published online:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/07/opinion/sunday/what-makes-a-woman.html

Please be aware that article is both transphobic and written in an articulate and persuasive manner, so I would suggest against reading it if you are sensitive to these sort of things. The comments are even worse...

What made this article even more annoying was that I read it in a newspaper that was not the NYT. They actually made the effort to get the rights to the article from the NYT so they could republish it. They also did so during a week that is supposed to be about raising awareness for trans issues. :angry:

5. bi2me

Maybe work on writing an anonymous article to the nyt. Even if you don't submit it, the process could be helpful. I'd be happy to read it or help edit it. (I edit for an author friend of mine.) Eventually, you could use the ideas with your parents if you wanted.

6. syzygy

wow. I couldn't get past the first two paragraphs.

in my town, they simply, pointedly do not talk about this sort of thing. It drives me nuts, but I think having articles like this being read by your family is much worse.

Honestly, even the whole thing with Caitlyn Jenner makes me really uncomfortable. Everyone has an opinion, and there is no middle ground. People either condemn her or praise her, and obviously seeing the condemnation is very upsetting. However, I feel like the praise she's received has done a lot of harm too. It's made this a very public issue, and Jenner's affluence has caused her transition to go very fast. This is great for her, and I'm glad she's able to do what she needs to be happy, but it's allowed the media to depict it as flighty or even worse, easy. If I come out to my family at any time in the next several months, They're going to think I've jumped on some sort of crossdressing bandwagon.

7. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^^^^that^^^^^^

8. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yup, the usual mix of bombastic, contradictory speech, coctail of losely related topics to fill the page and anger. Plus your obligatory 'omg, I was there even before you got electric light at home, bitc..s'

She fails to acknowledge her as a woman, and then goes on by imposing her own view about how women should be... As if you need to look, dress and act a certain way to be taken seriously, as if ultra feminine sexy women, only by expressing their joy about painting their nails were somehow invalidating their intelligence. They do have a right to wear pink, be blondes and say whatever they want. I get where she is coming from, but I don't share it,I never did by the way. Is this about real freedom, or about imposing on others your idea of freedom? Let each woman define herself. They don't need another woman or man to do that. And it's not 'better' because the one defining you is a woman, that shit doesn't work for the ones who want real emancipation.

It's true that women are exposed to violence and danger, but... Is she implying that to be 'a real woman' you must suffer? This sounds exactly like the fav macho man motto 'Suffer like a man! Go to bars and get into fights, prove you can stand it!'
    So now to prove you are a woman, you have to take it... But as a victim?!

As if to be a man was easy, you go ask my father : The struggles he went through were damned real. Or do you think he was enjoying any privilege when being financially responsible for himself, a woman and a child... That doesn't count as a real struggle? And what about the men who by getting a divorce are being forced of seeing his kids only during the weekends. Does the author have ever wondered about that? Has she ever seen what I saw? To be a man is easy-peasy and you don't need to fight at all? Give me a break...

And by the way,it seems she never asked herself what kind of 'privilege' has a woman that had been trapped on a man's body fo her whole life... 'cause (surprise) she was a woman back then, regardless of her body...Maybe if she tried to imagine it, she would understand her joy about being finally free to express her feminity... the way she wants.

Some women try to define 'true feminity', and invalidate the rest of opinions. I'm not sure if they still qualify as true feminists.

But yeah, epic fail. She demans what she can't give, which is typical..Didnt't enjoyed it, but thanks for sharing, it gave m an idea of what's going on with thw press right now.

The last sentence by the way was damned insulting. That is what she thinks about her readers, that they need such explanation.

To think there is such a people making a living by puking such trash...

9. Natasha Elyssa

My viewpoint on stuff like this is: "Why can't we practice the coexistence that we preach?" Like why can someone say "Save the world" one minute and say "Screw you freak!" the next. That's what the world is today, temptations reference intended. Old problems get solved and new ones form. Also three words: Spanish American War. Or in other words, yellow journalism. The media loves stuff like this, it makes them millions, so they let people like that write for them and publish their stuff. It almost makes me ashamed to be a media arts student.

10. DoriaN

What a poor article hahah, so many contradictions and fallacies.