1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Name Game

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by PhoenixOfAshes, Jun 10, 2015.

1. PhoenixOfAshes

I'm an extremely indecisive person, so when I decided to change my name (unofficially, it's just my taken name but I will be legally changing it soon :eusa_danc) I probably went through 20. I finally settled on Cade for my first name, and now I'm switching between two different middle names.

So my question is: How many other people who decided to choose a different name for themselves (I know trans* people who decided to keep their name) struggled with the name game? And what were some of the names you choose before settling?

Some of mine were:
    Max
    Alistair (I still like this one a lot)
    Victor
    Matthew
    Ron
    Phoenix
    Kaden
    Cas

There were quite a few more. :roflmao:

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First and Middle included:

Kai
    Hayden
    Jayden
    Jesse
    Jason
    Holden
    Atticus
    Joshua
    Tobias
    Mason (I still get emails with that name)
    Erik
    Andros

That's just to name a few. I tried out Andros recently for my first name, but it didn't fit me as well as what I go with now, which is Alexander.

3. randomconnorcon

I'm still going through the name game. I started when I was 17 with Henry, now I'm 21 and it's Nathan. I've also had Matthew and Caden and Reece was a thing for a while. Henry lasted the longest as a chosen name and Nathan has only recently overruled it. And it just feels right to me now, when people who don't know my gender identity call me Sam (the shortened version of my birth name) I answer because I'm used to it and because I don't hate it, but there's now this voice in the back of my mind saying it doesn't sound right anymore. I didn't get that voice with Henry, which leads me to believe that Nathan might be 'the one'.

My middle names is narrowed down a bit, which is easier. My initials currently are S.L.H. I want Nathan to take the place of my birth name, but also keep my initials out of respect for my parents, I guess. I also want to keep Sam. So for now I've got Nathan Samuel Luke (H is my last name).

Nathan and Luke might change still, particularly Luke. I might go by Sam/Samuel. But right now Nathan Samuel Luke H. sounds right to me.

4. Mischief

Mischief Guest

I went as Austin for half a year, but decided it didn't fit me well. I then went as Alec for a while, but then overhearing it really started to makw me cringe for some reason. Now my friends are just bullying me and making me feel terrible about settling on Brandon... I get comments like "Omfg just make up your mind" and shit like that.

My advice would be to try it better than I did, like repeating "My name is____". It could really help you vision what suits you most. I suggest this because I don't know much about you.

5. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I settled on Alexander right away. I have always loved the name.
    For my middle name I settled on Jace for my middle name after going through Nicholas, Henry, and Edward.

6. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I tried "Lisa" for about 10 minutes, and couldn't stand it. That's what my parents would have named me. Might have been fine if that's what I grew up with. Been getting comfortable with Chrissy, mostly online. Though, at the symposium, it did take me a moment of thinking when someone asked me which way I spell it.

7. randomconnorcon

The first thing that came to my mind was to try out the name my parents would have named me if I'd been born biologically male. Then I remembered that it would have been Daniel, which I actually quite like, but they gave the name to my brother when he was born two years after me. Sadly I don't think two Daniels in the immediate family would have worked.

8. wolf of fire

I have two: one is my birth name and the other is what my parents would have called me if I had been born then opposite sex. So that option works or if there is one the male version of your birth name.

9. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Michael has always been with me. The second 'serious' book I wrote was all about a guy called Michael (who was... just read my signature). Back then I did soul searching without being aware of it.

At the first stages of finally accepting the truth, the first name that came to me was 'Frank'. It was short, masculine and without any glamour, back then it seemed the perfect name for me. 'Just a man'

Then out of the blue I picked Maurice (from a gay story and movie I saw as a teenager), then Kyle... Which was another fictional character I felt strongly identified with. This didn't lasted long, and it was part of the search. Even if I've been calld hard boiled through all my life, I do have my sensitive side, and experimenting with those names was part of me trying to avoid losing my 'soft' side (not proud of it, but also not exactly ashamed).

As a finally came to terms with my gender I decided that I needed to put my own insecurities on hold and name myself as I have always wanyted to be known. However the name Frank had been a symbolic link, it had been there and it did not deserved to fall into oblivion.

Frank Michael it is. Well, just Michael...

10. heandsheisme

I currently use Alexis to refer to myself as a woman, sort of as a default counterpart to Alexander. I did think about using Kate over the weekend while I was Alexis, but since my brain changed back I have not thought too much about it.

Stick with Alistair, you are a good support. :lol:

11. Natasha Elyssa

I identify as Emmalee because I saw this name on a list, and fell in love with the spelling of it. I was going to use Ellie, like the Last of Us, but decided on this instead. I just liked the name, and decided to go with it. It's grown on me very much. :slight_smile: <3

12. Acm

Acm Guest

I've considered a few different names, but I've only ever gone by Max. Reading this make me worry I'll change it later though. I already worry that when I tell my mom what it is, she'll make me choose a different one, but I feel like this one suits me.

13. randomconnorcon

Max is a cool name.

14. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You might be fine, since a lot of people settle for their first choice because nothing else works.

15. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Max is an awesome name.

Eventually I will talk to my mom about names and ask what she would of called me but Alexander Jace (now thinking Chase) is a good name to me. It has a strength to it, and I have a thing about choosing names off of their meaning as well

16. Acm

Acm Guest

That's reassuring to hear.

17. PhoenixOfAshes

I like Max, I just didn't think it fit me too well, but it's a really cool name! I honestly didn't think so many people would comment on this thread because I notice that there doesn't seem to be very many people I know that have jumped names so I'm sure you'll be fine :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

18. OnyxPhantom

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I personally had an issue picking a name, which is probably because of a combination of the fact I am really picky and that I'm not "out", so I can't really "practice" using any of them.
    The main problem though, besides that, I find that I can never seem to really connect with any names I encounter. I feel "numb" in a sense to all of them. Even though I have searched endlessly through probably thousands of names, I still feel pretty nameless. Has anyone else ever had this issue?

I truly dislike my birth name, I want nothing to do with it. To be honest, the more I hear it, the more I hate it. I suppose I just really dislike J names. I also really disliked the two other names my parents came up with if either my sister or I turned out to be born biologically male.

The top 8 that I had for a while were (including the current one):
    Tristan
    Rowan
    Jeffrey
    Felix
    Oliver
    Kieran
    Sage
    Luke

I always keep coming back to Rowan, so I guess that will be The One (idk, I have yet to actually use it).
    For my middle name I am tied between Andrew and Thomas.

I like Andrew, and it also has the same two first letters as my current middle name (Anne).
    But I also like Thomas as well, because despite the fact that it's the first name of a friend of mine, it is also my grandfather's name, and it's meaning is "twin", like the Gemini twins, which is also both my sun and moon zodiac signs. Funnily enough, that particular side of the family (which I take after a lot), ends up having twins every other generation...? How ironic! xD
    E X T R E M E D U A L I T Y

My last name sorta makes it difficult to pick name combinations, so I'm not sure which one to go with. At one point I was considering both of them (in the order Andrew Thomas), but idk. It'd be funny if I chose Rowan and Andrew, because my full initials would be R.A.D... lol

Off the topic of me, I noticed that Alexander/Alex seems pretty popular around here. I also see a lot of really neat and unique names, ones I don't really hear about, here as well. :]

Despite my issues looking for one, I think picking names is pretty fun!

19. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I settled on Jesse Mark very quickly as a super impulsive decision when I needed a name for some online game and somehow it's stuck. I've been using the name for myself for about a year and a half and I first started having some people use it in real life for me about six months ago and it seems to still be sticking. I worry sometimes that it might not be 100% right and I would want to change it. I've considered the name Spencer too. My mom wants me to be Alex because it's similar to my middle name. Name decisions are hard. I still feel pretty confident about the one I've got though.

20. Mischief

Mischief Guest

On the subject of the name game, regardless of how much I like Brandon, my parents (mum especially) keep bringing up or "dropping hints" towards the names they had picked for me if I was a boy.

My options were kinda meh:

Dylan
    Lachlan
    Campbell
    or Mitchell

I am most drawn to Lachlan, but I really really like Brandon. Should I take it as a hint that they want me to choose one of those?