1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Matto_Corvo, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just in case I will add a trigger warning

I have been having period issues, not dysphoria, just periods that want to last 16 to 20 days at a time. I know that if I go to the doctors they will want to put me on birth control to control. Do I need to go into why I am against this?

Just this fear that estrogen in birth control will somehow erase my feeling of being male. I would hate that. I love feeling male. Any advice??? Any what so ever?

2. bi2me

I'd look for a doctor that works with transgender patients. You should be able to ask that when you call to schedule. If that doc doesn't, see if they refer to someone who does. You might also call a local lgbt support group or center and see if there is a doctor they recommend.

3. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah there is no local lgbt center. Only one in the whole state that I know of. South Carolina not big on LGBT rights and stuff

4. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is there a planned parenthood near you? If not, I'm pretty sure you can call to ask questions and there might even be an online chat on their website. I've heard they're very good with trans people.

Do see a doctor though. 16-20 day periods is a big deal. I really don't think estrogen will change your gender identity, but if you're concerned, I do think you should see if you can get in touch with someone at planned parenthood and see if they can tell you that with more confidence. There are also birth control pills that don't have estrogen, though I don't know if they can be used to regulate periods or if they're only used as birth control. That's something else you could ask a doctor.

Ooh, from the planned parenthood website: "There are quite a few hormonal birth control options that don’t contain estrogen. These “progestin-only” methods include: the implant (Implanon or Nexplanon), hormonal IUDs (Mirena or Skyla), the shot (Depo Provera), and even some kinds of birth control pills.

Many of these methods have been shown to lessen menstrual bleeding – and sometimes even eliminate it (though it’s common to have some spotting, especially for the first few months). Speak with your nurse or doctor to figure out which of these options fits your needs best."

Definitely ask if any of those would be an option.

#4 darkcomesoon, Jun 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2015