1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genderfluid? Demigirl? Female?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Stella813, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Stella813

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have been struggling with my gender identity for this past year. I always labeled myself as female but starting a couple of months ago, I questioned it and thought I was genderfluid.. Now I'm not too sure.
    Sometimes I feel like a girl (I am biologically female) and want to dress up and put on makeup. Other times, I feel sort of neutral and just dress like it as well. Then there are those rare moments when I feel like a boy. On the occasion when I do feel like a girl, I try to convince myself that I don't feel gender neutral or like a boy and go in denial. However, when I do feel neutral or, especially, like a boy, it hits me really hard and I just start extremely disliking my long hair and all my outfits like dresses and skirts. Throughout all these feelings, I am still okay with my female body, I don't really want a male body. At this point I wish I could feel completely female and be able to say it.. I just don't really feel like it all the time and it's frustrating sometimes..

Thank you in advance and have a nice day!

2. shootingstar

shootingstar Guest

Your situation sounds a bit similar to mine. I identify as female. Like you I don't want a male body but I have moments where I feel uncomfortable in my femininity. I think society's gender roles are partly responsible. People generally expect women to be embrace their femininity, love makeup, have long hair and to love wearing dresses. But we're in the 21st century. You can identify as female even though you might wear dresses one day and the next day dress/act more like a boy. You don't have to be super girly and comfortable with your body to identify as female. I don't know if this helps?

Anyway good luck!

3. Stella813

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Glad to know someone else can relate :slight_smile: I agree with you on the gender roles in our society today, I think that's what makes me feel less like a female in certain times I dress or act. It's going to take awhile for me to figure out my gender identity haha but nonetheless, thank you for the advice!

4. DragKing692

How very relatable! As much as it is hard to do, really just take it day by day. You can't decide how you will feel tommorrow, so just focus on today. I wish you well on your magical journey of gender identity. You're not alone.
    Best wishes,
    Bernie :slight_smile:

5. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it is easier to accept being female, wouldn't this be easier? Though I suppose what is easier and what is most fulfilling is the question, and that answer only you can decide...

Figuring out gender identity can be a mess, I know, but if you seem to be generally leaning in one direction, why not try to full-on adopt that identity?

Another thing, it's not entirely necessary to label yourself if no label is needed. I honestly don't believe anyone fits perfectly into any one label. Myself, I hesitate to use labels unless absolutely necessary. Also, I cannot predict if I am totally that way or will always be that way. But once a label is smacked to your face, people are usually going to view you that way. A bit of a personal example - Right now I identify as asexual, but I cannot say whether this will always and forever be the case, so I'm shying away from that kind of extreme label. Sure it can be a useful tool in "helping people understand" for the time being but it can also confuse.

Gender is a spectrum ranging from extreme masculinity to extreme femininity, with the aforementioned "labels" circling out general regions and often overlapping. A girl could be really masculine but still feel like a girl and like being a girl, or rather she could feel more androgynous and still like and accept (for the most part) being female. I think it helps to put it that way.

I guess what I'm trying to say is take it easy, grow into your own unique identity. Use labels if they truly describe who you know yourself to be. But also use caution and don't feel the need to always have to attach some word to yourself.

Best of luck,
    -Rhys-

6. Armin

I'm kinda going through this as well, although I'm biologically a male. There are times I consider myself neutral, that it's okay whether I go to men's/women's bathroom. I also have this spot for female fashion although have never wanted to wear one of those. Now I just deem myself as a demiguy since I know I'm not 100% male by heart. I feel like I'm a part of the female gender more than the male, yet I like my physical body. It's bewildering me, too. I guess this kind of thought gets into our mind for we want to conform to society's standards and expectations.

7. XxSunXDragonxX

I feel you. >.<

8. Ravienclaw

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    You just described almost exactly what I've been going through.