1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I genderfluid?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by RoseLalonde, Jun 13, 2015.

1. RoseLalonde

Out Status:
    A few people
    I am rather confused with my gender identity and I think I may be genderfluid.
    For many years now I haven't been a 'normal' girl. By that I mean I don't really enjoy dresses or make up that often. I always assumed I was just a tomboy, but recently I don't feel that's the case.
    I am perfectly okay with being my assigned sex, which is female. Most days, at least. Some days I am rather uncomfortable with my breasts and wish to bind them and I just feel rather uncomfortable in general. Other days I am okay with my body and even wish to wear some make up or something a bit more girly, perhaps. (Although I do not wear make up or even dress more girly, since I don't own many girly things). There are also times when I just feel like I have no specific gender and I suppose I just feel in between.

I know that I am a female though and I do not wish to have any sort of surgery to change my assigned sex. I am just rather confused about my gender identity and also a bit worried. My family isn't very accepting with these sort of things. They believe that you are what is between your legs.

I feel that I should also mention my choice of clothing, if that would make a difference. I tend to wear men's shirts and women's pants. It is mainly because I find them more comfortable although I find women's shirts are too girly as well most of the time. I am thinking of buying some shirts that are more girly though, for when I'm in the girly kind of mood. Most of my shirts seem more uni-sex though, considering a lot of them are fandom related shirts. They just happen to be in the men's section.

At the moment I have longer hair, although I plan to cut it short soon. My overall appearance is the 'tomboy' kind of look, I suppose you could say. It is very obvious am female though. Mainly because I'm not quite sure of my gender identity and I do not want to make any changes yet.

I apologize if I jumped around quite a bit or if I was confusing at all. I also apologize that this turned out to be rather long. I would really appreciate any advice you could give. Thank you.

2. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds like you could definitely be genderfluid.

Do you have any discomfort around pronoun use? Does she/her feel uncomfortable on the days you want to bind? Are there pronouns that would feel more accurate?

3. RoseLalonde

Out Status:
    A few people
    Honestly, I am okay with any pronouns. Although on certain days I feel as though certain ones would be more comfortable. On days that I wish I could bind, male or gender neutral pronouns would be more comfortable and the days that I would not mind wearing make up or being a bit more girly, female or gender neutral pronouns would be more comfortable then. When I do not feel very female or male, any pronouns would be alright, I suppose.
    Either way, I will have to stick to female pronouns due to the fact that my family would refuse to use the pronouns that I would prefer.

4. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, you sound genderfluid.

Maybe if you have some accepting friends you could ask them to use different pronouns sometimes. No rush, especially if you're not particularly uncomfortable with the pronouns people are using now, but it's something to consider for the future. If not, once you get out of your parents' house you'll have much more freedom to present how you want and ask people to use the pronouns that make you most comfortable.

5. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

As for whether you are genderfluid, I would say if you don't FEEL female you might be and the part where you have body dysphoria sticks out to me as well.

Just keep in mind that gender identity has nothing to do with gender expression or roles, since I see you say you're expressing your "female" identity through girly clothing. There are people who like that stuff and still identify as 100% male, and likewise for women who enjoy acting like stereotypical dudes. Just make sure it comes from within your head and not what you enjoy, and that'll make the questioning easier.

6. Posthuman666

Very similar to my current situation, Im not sure if I'm gender fluid or bigender or androgynous or maybe something else but I know that my gender and assigned sex don't match up. I feel very feminine (Im a "male'' biologically) but sometimes I feel rather masculine. It is very confusing isn't it? Feel free to message me if you need a friend :3