1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do transgender people come up with their new names?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by lizardman, Jun 13, 2015.

1. lizardman

I want a new male/gender neutral name for myself but I don't know where to start or how to choose one :\ My legal first name is Amanda. I was thinking of going by Andy or something, but I don't know.
    Here's what I look like:
    WIN_20150613_212329.jpg

2. yaoicore

yaoicore Guest

What do you feel comfortable with

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My birth name was Ashley. I first started to look at names that were common during my birth year. I didn't want to name myself something that stuck out too much. When I did this, I found that I liked the names Brad and Josh. So, then I asked some friends about what they thought. I also indirectly asked my mom what she would have named me if I was born male. (I was not out to her at the time, so I framed it as a question for a class). She told me I would have been named Bradley. So, my full first name is Bradley, but I go by Brad.

So, I would do some research on names, and see if there is anything you like. That is usually a good place to start :slight_smile:

4. RoseLalonde

Out Status:
    A few people
    I suggest finding a name that you like and that you'd be comfortable with people calling you by. It may take a little time to find a good name that suits you. Once you have found your perfect name, just let people know that you'd much rather be called by that name. It will take some time for them to get used to the name change, but that is perfectly normal and they will eventually get it. If people accidentally call you the wrong name, just kindly correct or remind them. Good luck.

5. lizardman

Thanks, everyone ^-^

6. Florestan

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I plan to just modify my birth name to make it feminine. I know there are several websites that list a ton of different names, with information on their genders, meanings, related names, and languages of origin, so that could be helpful.

7. Acm

Acm Guest

The name I chose is actually the first one I thought of, because I already liked it. I feel like it suits me and I like going by it. Of course it's not official in real life, so there's a chance I won't be allowed to use it. My mom said once that she should be allowed to rename me, so I'm a little worried about that since I've gotten attached to this name.

8. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wolfgang, the name I use on here and with some of my close friends actually started as a bit of a joke because I like classical music such as Mozart and my friends teased me about it a bit.

I got really attached to this name when I discovered that if my grandmother had had a boy (she had two daughters, my mum and auntie) she would have called him Wolfgang. I also wanted an unusual name because most of my family have very unusual names and it wouldn't really fit in if my name was, say, Jack or Alex.

9. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dunno. People say I hit the transgender lottery.

However I may change my name. Don't know yet, and picking names is like the hardest thing ever.

---------- Post added 14th Jun 2015 at 11:32 AM ----------

My dad "forgot" what they would have called me if I were born female. Thanks dad...

10. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My given name is Christopher. I have always known I would have been named Lisa. Perhaps if I had grown up being called that it'd be fine. Since I didn't, I sorta like the name Chrissy. It feels right.

11. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've always liked the names Emily or Allison... Yet there are so many out there in my life already.

I also like the name Liliana. And don't know and of those.

12. lizardman

My parents were actually wanting and expecting to have a boy when they were pregnant with me, since they had already given birth to 3 girls. I already know that if I had been a boy, I would have been named after my father, Octavio, but I don't really like the name Octavio.

13. AlexTheGrey

Honestly, the name I picked felt like it needed to do two things. One, I wanted it to be unisex (was thinking more non-binary at the time), and wanted it to have the same first letter and rough length as my birth name. Alex is really the only one that fits.

These days, I'm wondering more about Alexis as well, but it also seems to be really popular. :frowning2:

14. lizardman

Hmm... I think for now, I'm just going to go with Andy.

15. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly? My experience has been a lot of trial and error, especially the error part... I tried going by Elissa for a time but there were issues with my sister there... So I'm trying out Emily for now, and I kind of like it, I was also considering April because that interestingly enough is what my mom considered naming me if I'd been born female...

16. yaoicore

yaoicore Guest

since I have not change my name that I was given at birth. I've always change it cause I'm not able to get a name change. ''the names that I've use are troy, trey, nat, Nathan, kent, alexander.'' I've use like a lot of name's now it's saga. I've always change what I want too be called it's really because I have no friends and I'm usually online. and I really hate my birth name it's sakeizia

17. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Justine is what I decided.

I wanted a name that balanced strength with elegance, and wasn't too common. But I also didn't want something that sounded too out there.

Basically, what name could I see myself doing a multitude of things and works. What could I conquer the world with? What could I be a CEO with? What would make the world quake in fear and marvel in awe?

18. Harp Grey

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I made a male alter-ego for myself before I knew I was trans, then I chose a name which was like a male counterpart to my female name. Then that name gut stuck and started to feel like me so when I realised I was trans and needed a new name I had no doubts. Some people might find that very uncreative but what's most important is that I have a name which feels right. When I legally changed my name I added to other forenames as well, one my mother suggested (from an old relative) and one from Lord of the Rings ^_^

19. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some people take a name that's close to their birth name and some go with what their parents would have named them. Some people go with a name of someone they look up to or just something from a baby name book that sounds right or cool.

It's all up to you. My parents would have named me Joshua, but I don't relate to it. So I drew from inspiration, with mine coming from an old friend who is a filmmaker and a hero who got me through some darker moments of my depression.

20. randomconnorcon

Henry is a name I used to go by online, it came from a friend of mine. We were coming up with nicknames and I can't for the life of me remember where Henry came from but Agent Henry became my nickname and Henry stuck. And I liked it and I used it, but it didn't feel quite right. I didn't hear it and think yes, this is my name not my birth name. In between I had other names. Then I found this quiz on Time Magazine's website where you typed in your birth name and your date of birth and it gave you a list of names you apparently would have likely been called if you were born in a certain era depending on the popularity of your birth name around your DoB. If I was born around this era, 2010+, apparently I'd be Nathan and that struck me. I've used the name for a couple of characters in my books and liked it, but right then, in that moment, I heard it and thought yes this is my name. That's how I came to find my name.

My parents would have named me Daniel if I'd been assigned male at birth, but they gave that name to my brother two years later so I can't have it. Which is kind of a shame because I quite like Daniel. But I'm glad I have Nathan.