1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being a feminine female

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by loveislove01, Jun 14, 2015.

1. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know, this isn't nearly as serious as other things that people experience based on gender, but I've been suppressing something for a few years, from my family, that I'm feminine.
    It really bothers me though, how my family isn't accepting of that. It sounds kind of weird. I'm born with female genitals, and like presenting feminine, but they disapprove and want me to be more androgynous/ tomboyish.
    I like shopping, pretty clothing, and make-up sometimes. I like doing "girly" things and am very emotional.
    Just, some comments from them affect me.
    Like a month ago, I got into a fight with my dad, and we went into a deep conversation, and once, he said "you're like my son", and often compliments me on my lack of emotion (which is really an act because I want to please them) and happily goes to buy me more androgynous clothing, but when it comes to feminine stuff, he's like "go ask your mom".
    I attended a school dance, wearing what I felt comfortable with, and got many compliments from people that I was pretty, and it made me feel good. But again, my dad had something to say about it.
    "Wow, I don't expect that from you"
    "you know, make-up can give you cancer"
    "Is this really you?"
    "stop trying to be like the other girls. You're fine the way you are."
    I tell him that this is how I am, and I get:
    "You're going through a hormonal phase"
    "You don't understand. Because you are bullied doesn't mean you have to look girlier to fit in"
    "These are the kind of girls who grow up and have too much sex with boys"
    "I don't want you to grow up like this. You're asking for attention, and this isn't the right way."
    "You don't like hiking? So you're saying you don't want to spend family time anymore? You don't like us, do you? Is it because you're scared your skirt will rip? I thought you were a fun, modest, good person"

And I always get approval and willingness from him to do anything that's not feminine. He'll spend $500 on me for video games, boy clothes, and anything else thats "masculine"
    ...sorry for the rant.
    It just, It hurts putting up a mask in front of my family. I want to look feminine, I want to do "girly" things, show emotion, but I'm fake in front of them.
    My girlfriend's the only one who knows this, and I am emotionally very open with her. But I start to hate my family more and more because I feel like my actual self's being suppressed.

Sorry for the ultra long rant, I just needed to get it out there somewhere :/
    I'm aware this isn't serious like other things on here, sorry if I post it on the wrong thread.

I just feel super bothered by it, especially recently, and wanted to get that out there...

2. Aura

I feel your pain. When I was in 5th grade I went through this tomboy phase and my family still expects it from me. When I wear a small dress my mom always calls me "skimpy" and I just hate that word I'm not trying to attract a bunch of people I'm just dressing the way I want to. And sometimes I tell my sister about how next school year I think I want to wear makeup and she gives me this look and asks why. And when I talk to my mom and sister about anything girly they're like "what happened to the tomboy" "yeah she wasn't so weak and girly". And I'm like "she's gone she was gone 10 yrs ago". But I have to say it kinda hurts. And I'm really sorry your dad criticizes you like that and makes you buy boy clothes. You're not alone and wish you the best of luck on being who you want :slight_smile:

3. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's the exact opposite for me. My mom is constantly trying to convince me to be more feminine. If I wear a skirt or a dress, she's so happy that I'm 'finally dressing like a girl'. *sighs*

Well, your parents' concerns are unusual, but I can see where they're coming from. My sister is also very feminine and my parents always say she tries too hard to fit in and it's unnecessary for her to wear such girly clothes to do so.

I don't have any useful advice I guess, since I am also currently stuck with my parents trying to get me to be someone I'm not. Just don't let them change you; girly girls are awesome. (*hug*)