1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Embarrassed to shop in boys'...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by staries, Jun 15, 2015.

1. staries

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well...it basically says everything in the title. But to be descriptive, whenever I go shopping in the boys' section I get so nervous. I feel like everyone is looking at me and wondering, "Why is this girl shopping in boys'?" I even went shopping with friends thinking it would be easier. Oh was I wrong. I asked for an opinion on what color shorts I should get and she replied, "I mean I like the color...but those are for boys."
    How do I avoid all of the awkwardness and comfortably shop in boys'? :slight_smile:

2. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    With time you'll pass better and better, and they will care less and less until they just see a boy shopping for boys' clothes.

In the meantime, there's always the internet if you're really nervous! That's kind of what I do (or will do when I get more money ^_^ ).

If you really don't want to wait until you pass better and so on to shop for clothes in the store, you could for example just walk into a store and look around in general, maybe pretending to look at girls' clothes, while you're really looking at boys', then come back the next day in more androgynous/male clothing, like a hoody or so, just go pick the clothing you chose, put in on the counter, say hi, pay, say goodbye. It would save you the build-up...

hope that helps!
    x

3. suninthesky

I like going to thrift stores; often even the changing rooms are gender neutral. I remember the feeling, heart pounding red faced just for picking up a pair of jeans. My advice is to jut go do it. It gets easier, now I'd feel awkward going in the girls section. Also, girls go shopping for their boyfriends/husbands/kids all the time. If you look you'll see women in that section. But the feeling goes away, you just have to pretend like it doesn't bother you until it really doesn't.

4. staries

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks, I will definetly take your advice. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 15th Jun 2015 at 01:57 PM ----------

Thank you! I actually live near this huge thrift store. :slight_smile:

5. Really

I'm pretty sure none of the sales people give a hoot. Nor any other customers. If anyone is so rude as to ask you what you're doing there, just tell them you're shopping for your twin and leave it at that. Otherwise, whatever people are thinking can't hurt you. You're just being you and that's all that counts.

6. lizardman

I feel the exact same way. I went in there today and felt like I had to ninja around and avoid people just to not feel incredibly judged. Especially since I'm a really small guy- 5'0 exactly and weigh 100 lbs. It also doesn't help that the store doesn't have a very big boys department and everything in the men's department is too big :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel ya my friend. I went in with an excuse ready to give "shopping for a present for my brothers." I also took my best friend with me who is not shy about anything. She picked up a pack of boxers and threw them at me saying "I'll sew them up and you can wear around home pantless."

But to be honest, no one cares why you are there (wow that sounds mean, I'm sorry.) People tend to be to absorbed in their own lives to wonder why you are there. And as well they'll either think you are shopping for yourself, and are fine with that, or shopping for a male friend or family, and they are fine with that.

8. Lazuri

It's mostly in your head. An apparent girl buying masculine clothes is not nearly as stigmatized as an apparent male buying feminine clothes. It's more or less safe to say that the only people that would raise their eye brows at seeing you there are people who actually know you.

9. randomconnorcon

I agree with above. The only time I'm ever given funny looks about shopping in the men's section is members of my family. And even that number is kind of small, with the majority of them used to it after years of wanting unisex/masculine clothing. When I first started hinting/asking to shop there, it was because they had cooler band and fandom t-shirts and no one ever questioned me wanting them because they're genuinely what I love to wear. Now I'll just get anything, t-shirt and jeans wise. A couple of weeks ago, my new big step was buying a shirt and boxers and that was only because my grandmother was paying for them and she's one of the few to question my clothing choices.

(Slightly off topic: last week, she said they suit me. And her admitting that I look good in 'boy' clothes frightens her. But it was great news to me.)

No one else has ever really given a crap seeing me in the men's sections. Other shoppers, of any gender, didn't care and the staff barely batted an eye. They just put them through the till. And my friends are used to it, even though only three know I'm trans.

So quite a bit of that fear of being judged is just in our heads. We just gotta keep going until it inevitably goes away.

10. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I work in retail, and I can tell you that most of the time, the workers do not care what section you are shopping in. The only things they care about are watching for shoplifters, helping customers and keeping sections clean. If they do ask questions, you can always say you are shopping for a friend or a family member.

Also, like others have said, this is something that does get easier with time. The first few times can be really scary though.

11. yaoicore

yaoicore Guest

when I go shopping for boy clothes. people usually say stuff like this, ''miss are you lost?'' ''or are you buying clothes for your boyfriend'' I end up lying saying this ''sure'' their all like ''that size is a bit weird for a boy'' they ask me like a million questions I just came to buy clothes the only thing I can think is shut up already and just take my money like who say's that to some one the fuck are you lost? I gotta admit I don't gear up so it's easy to tell.

Attached Files:

12. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I went shopping with a friend, which really helped, but I was out to the friend so she kind of helped me out there. If you have someone you're out to, try shopping with them?

13. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This is true, we do have a little advantage here... A big one actually if we think about underwear.

First time it will feel awkward, no matter what it is. The second time feels less awkward, and the third even less... Until someday you just go directly to your section 'cause that's your section.

I remember being a teenager and walking around the store thinking how much all the clothes sucked, and then suddenly going 'Oh, wow, look at that jacket!' ans then 'Finally I found a decent sweater!'... Then suddenly realize that you are right in the middle of the men section, and you just were supposed to run away quickly or else the men's section monster would emerge and eat your soul...

Seriously... Nobody bothered me or asked me about my shopping. Dudes just don't care.

14. and323

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to feel the same way about going into the guy's section - I would never have considered it year ago, and now when I walk into a store it's basically the first place I go. Once you go over you never go back :wink:.

I've never had an employee or anybody ask me why I'm in that section or if I'm lost (I can only imagine how rude that would be if I heard that said to me). I'm also mostly femme (I usually just grab t-shirts and tanks in the guy's section) and still have never been questioned. I've gone with friends and just by myself, my friends already know my style so once they finish up wherever they are in the woman's section they'll come over and help pick stuff out for me. I've even convinced my roommate of the wonders of the men's section and she'll often shop there with me (she's completely straight).

15. Lazuri

You've no idea how right that is. Even if you have an apparent male shopping in the female section, they'll usually just glance at you and maybe say "what a fag" under their breath but women will literally glare at you and in some cases--especially when you're buying underwear--they will just outright call you a pervert.

You're making me not wanting to be one of you, gals.

16. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly. With time, you won't have a problem. Last time I went shopping was for a dress and a bathing suit top to take to the TransOhio symposium. I went to the store right after work, still dressed in guy mode, and didn't have my bra filled. (I usually wear one even in guy mode) I had absolutely no problems carrying a dress and a couple bathing suit tops into the fitting room. Sure, I was directed to the guy's side, but a fitting room is a fitting room.

17. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Find your size and shop online.

Also a lot of shop keepers don't give a shit. Bad for business if you are trying to buy their products.

And yes I felt totally awkward going to the lingere aisle, even when I started passing... it will subside.

Here's the trick. It's who you are. Own it. No one will question you otherwise.

Also Brad already said it. Missed his post.

18. David21201

I get anxiety when I shop there as well because I have a grandma who works at WalMart and a cousin who works at Kohl's. (I only shop there and Hot Topic lol)

Just shrug it off, pretend like you don't hear them. I find telling them you find the shirts and pants comfier and roomer work the best. You could also tell them you prefer to dress like a guy because it's cool. You can always pull the "Girls can wear/do anything guys can do"

19. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And it's bullshit the opposite isn't true.

But yes you can use that get out of jail free card.

20. lizardman

Whale, I'm going to GAP tomorrow to see if I can find guys' clothing small enough to fit me without looking like I'm wearing a tent. Wish me luck :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: