1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where do you find guys' clothing that fits?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by lizardman, Jun 15, 2015.

1. lizardman

I'm 5'0 and weigh only 100 lbs (mostly muscle), so every time I go into the guys' department at the store, I'm very disappointed because almost everything is too long on me (Even when I was a girl, I had to shop in the petit department). But at the same time, I'm not too fond of the boy's department because a lot of things look very juvenile and clearly for little kids. What should I do?

2. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know people who have to buy clothes and then alter then themselves or take them to a tailor.
    Also, try shopping online from Asian stores. Not being racist, just Asian people are shorter and their close made for people of shorter and slimed

3. lizardman

Well, I just realized I can fit into an XS roughly. I just have to look at places where the sizes run small like Gap or American Eagle.

4. Fred89

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Buy on ebay from china. It's also very cheap so you can buy twice as much!

5. lizardman

I'm kind of scared to buy things before trying them on...

6. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unless you get comfortable going in and trying things on in person, it's the only way. You'll figure out your sizing well enough.

7. walkerhamilton

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am pretty small myself, but I still want to buy nice clothes. I buy a lot of clothes from Topman, and Uniqlo. They have a lot of different sizes.

8. David21201

Learn to sew and take in hem lines. I'm 5'3" and I have to do that with my jeans and some of my shirts.

If you can't do that, try shopping at transgender geared places. You can also attempt to shrink clothes in the wash.

9. nevers

Out Status:
    All but family
    I suggest just finding a few sizes of a shirt you wanna buy, go into the dressing room and try them on, then figure out your range of sizes. Plus consider that they might shrink and if you wanna get them a little bigger to hide stuff.

10. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I haven't bought from Topman yet myself but they seem to have nice clothes, and they run in a much broader range of sizes than most places - they run to XXS! So I'd recommend checking them out.

Your best bet for buying online is to get a tape measure for sewing, and take your measurements. Sizing for shirts typically lists measurements for the collar, chest, length, and sleeve length. Sizing for t-shirts just lists chest and length measurements. Pants are sized by waist and inseam, in that order. Usually companies list their average sizes for clothing of "x" size on their website, so once you have your measurements, you can go from there pretty easily and find your size.

Sewing and tailoring are options, too. But if you go that route, keep in mind that some things are hard to fix. Resizing collared shirts isn't even worthwhile if you need to adjust the collar itself - make sure your dress shirts fit well in the collar.

Online is probably your best bet if you want to avoid the boy's section. I'm fairly small, and in most stores, a small is too big for me. American Eagle and PacSun seem to cut their smalls smaller than many places (except for PacSun's graphic t's, which seem larger than their other t-shirts for some reason), and American Eagle runs through XS. I'm about 5'4" and 120lbs, and wear an XS in many of American Eagle's things, but a small in others.

11. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm 5'2" and thin, so I'm in a similar position. I really don't fit into mens' clothes and boys' clothes tend to be too obviously for young boys. I really haven't found a long term solution yet, but I did recently go to JC Penney and found a lot of boys' clothes that didn't actually look too young for me, so I was pleased with that. Buying from stores whose sizes run small is always an option, but I know that personally I'm still too small for those, so I'm kinda stuck just trying to find boys' clothes that don't look so juvenile.

12. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm 5'1 and maybe about 130 lbs? (like average weight for my height I guess). I shop mostly at H&M and Uniqlo. Asian fashion is generally smaller (thank god). H&M is really good too because their sizes are 'universal'. I wear a small, so XS would probably fit you just fine.