1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Non-Binary Occupation Titles

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Purp, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Purp

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey y'all!

I know I'm not in this section much but a few questions arose. I understand from my friend at school that they prefer the pronouns they, them, their. But I got to thinking and I was wondering how they might be addressed with certain titles like mother/father, aunt/uncle... So forth.

Sorry I'm not familiar with these, I am truly curious!

2. nevers

Out Status:
    All but family
    There's a situation of a lack of gender neutral titles in the trans community but although many people bring it up, they don't really try to do much about it. (I'm guilty myself but it's not my place to figure out nb stuff)
    I know that some people use like, the neutral term for boyfriend and girlfriend as like "enbyfriend" but some people find it offensive or just dont like it. I guess most people just make up whatever feels comfortable. If someone might lean more to masculine, then they'd probably go for uncle and vice versa. But that's a good question I don't think many people actually fully get into. I know some people that use some neutral terms for that from other languages but it's not a really into-it thing. I guess it's just whoever they are's preference.

3. Purp

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^ey, thank you! :slight_smile:

4. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are all sorts of words that have been coined to fix this problem, though they're certainly not widely used. This page (Gender Queeries) lists a bunch of them. A lot of them sound ridiculous, but all sorts of people use ridiculous words to refer to their parents/grandparents/etc. anyway. My family let the oldest cousin decide what to call the grandparents and she just made up words and the whole family went with it. It won't necessarily sound out of place for your family to be referring to you by funny sounding gender neutral terms (and don't worry, there are options that don't sound ridiculous too). And you can always make up your own words. There is so much freedom with this because names within the family can be so informal.