1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling like I've failed at being trans.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Reciprocal, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's this guy at my high school who went to my primary school, but I don't really see them now as we don't have any lessons together. I never liked them as they teased me for being a nerd and was very obsessed with makeup, hair, etc, and bullying the girls in their group if they didn't have the latest fashions.

I had pretty much forgotten about them until now, when they started telling everyone they were a transgender boy and we should all use "they" pronouns, as I am doing now. They have also chosen another name as well, but hasn't done anything to change their appearance or anything like that.

And yet, everyone goes along with it. People call them by their name and pronouns and act as if they never lived as female. They can just say they're transgender and that's all they have to do to get people to treat them as a boy.

That's not the case for me. I have a masculine haircut, wear boys' clothes, act stereotypically masculine, etc. Only my closest friends call me my male name, and when I tried to come out to the rest of the school they all denied it, said I was just a tomboy or a lesbian. Therefore I don't plan to transition until I go to sixth form college.

I don't see what I've done wrong. I feel like a failure. I'm not angry at this person in my school (at least not because of their gender) but I don't see what I've done any differently to them. I feel selfish as well, but I can't explain why. :help:

2. Mischief

Mischief Guest

You haven't failed at all at being trans.

We have a similar situation at my school going on too, a so called "popular" guy came out as gay recently and absolutely no one cares and still respects him. Last year a guy from our school left because he was being treated harshly for being gay.

Now, I'm not too popular at school because I have my own opinions (amazing, I know). I know 100% that if I came out as trans I have the absolute shit picked out of me. But if it were someone else, say someone on the sports teams, they would have the schools complete support.

There is absolutely no reason that this should make you feel invalidated as trans, let alone, as a super manly man. I support you in yourself. Don't get yourself down, man.

3. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You did nothing wrong. There is no right way to be transgender. Circumstances are different for all of us. My friends accept me but don't call me she very often yet. I'm going to remind them soon more often but due to not being out to everyone I can accept that for my protection.

But once I transition FULL time I will be constantly reminding people.

But you can't let other people's views dictate how you view yourself.

Don't let anyone bring you down or convince yourself you aren't you little brother. It's not being transgender that matters, it's being a man in the end. We all start somewhere. It's up to us to get where we want.

Also as Brandon said, you don't have to be the most manly man, I may not be the exact most feminine woman out there either. Be who you are.

4. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This seems to be exactly what's happening. This guy is pretty popular I suppose, at least they hang out with that crowd. I'm pretty unheard-of at school, except when we get maths homework, then everyone seems to suddenly be my best mate. Thank you for your support.

Thank you so much. I'm not overly manly really :lol: but I always feel a sense of doubt when I see people like them. I know there's no real reason to feel like this and I'm feeling a lot better about myself now.

5. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I see other trans women or cis women I get jealous of how feminine some are. Then I look at myself and say... well I do look more feminine than a lot of trans and cis women both.

There is no absolute on either side. So what if you're a guy who likes ... I dunno pink and ponies. I'm a girl who likes video games and beer.

Doesn't matter. Be true to yourself.

6. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks again :slight_smile:

7. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    These guys have a lot of great advice. For me, while I haven't experienced the school conflict as you've mentioned, I do sometimes feel a bit jealous of other guys.

Other guys are born male. They got everything for free, and don't have to work for it. Why does everything have to be harder for me? I know these thoughts are ridiculous... If you think about it, the fact that you have to endure all the stress of transitioning to be seen as a man makes you more of a man. Any guys that say you're not a "real boy" or whatever couldn't be more wrong. What am I saying? All this manliness talk is silly in its own right.

But along the lines of what Kasey said, though the other way around, I do feel similarly. While sure I may not be the picturesque guy right now, I could be a whole lot worse. And it really helps me to envision my future self, after I'm out and on T, how much better it will be. It's funny because even right now I'm so much more "manly" than my brothers it hurts. When I come out to them it's not really going to be a surprise...

8. blurry

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Everyone is unique, and you can't fail at being yourself. You are you, each man is different. Each person has a unique social status and circumstances as well. You can't give up on being your true self because then you will be more unhappy than you are now.

Don't worry, tis just life with it's challenges.

9. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I suppose I am just jealous that they can get called another name etc just by telling people, whilst I find myself exaggerating my masculinity and still getting treated as a "tomboy".

And another update about this person: at school today a guy was going on about how gay is "a choice". One of my LGBT friends and I argued against him, then the person I was talking about walked past and said, "I agree with (homophobic person). I chose to be transgender so I can see that people choose to be gay", or something along those lines. I don't know who to trust. There are lots of idiots in my school.

10. Acm

Acm Guest

There used to be a few trans kids at my school that had transitioned (I'm pretty sure they were on hormones) and I was always really jealous of them. If I came out at school I don't think people would take me seriously.
    That doesn't make you a failure though, none of that is your fault.

Also, how could they say that being trans or gay is a choice? It doesn't work like that :confused:

11. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The world has failed in accepting us. We cannot be failures just for being who we are.