1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Labels

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by randomconnorcon, Jun 17, 2015.

1. randomconnorcon

I'm not quite so sure why I'm making this thread. I suppose I'm just curious.

Anyway, when I think it through, my label is genderfluid. It makes sense because I move between masculine and agender primarily. But when I don't think, when I hear a 'voice' in my head that just says the word or I'm talking to someone, I hear trans. Half the time straight up, female to male, binary trans and half the time I put non binary trans.

I'm not upset by this, since trans is an umbrella term so I'm not wrong when I say it. But sometimes it confuses me a little, like I don't know how to answer or what to put down. Does anyone else go through this?

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not a lot anymore. I'm in an "I don't care what people think as long as they read me as male and respect me as such" place, and I've been told that I'm non-binary because of that and how I don't attribute gender to clothing or traits...or whatever.

3. Posthuman666

I don't think labels are really necessary, only use them if they make you comfortable. They are only there so people can understand your identity, not to bind you into something your not.

4. mothzi

I pretty much feel the same. In all honesty I'm somewhere between agender and male but I id as trans and just want to be seen as male by others. How I see it, I don't owe anyone a thourough explanation of my identity, I just ask them to call me by my pronouns.

5. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Essentially, I only use a label or seek a "diagnosis" if it's absolutely necessary for my health or a crucial aspect of my identity. Sure I suppose I could be diagnosed and attributed with many things: Asperger's syndrome, depression, anxiety, gender dysphoria, asexual/pansexual/whateversexual, and so on and so forth. But why should I look for labels where none are really needed?

The only label I truly feel right adopting is that of transgender, but only because it is a crucial point in my identity at this time. It conveys a clear message and a clear goal of my future. I was born with a female body, but I am male. I will change my body to match my mind. The end. After I undergo the better part of my medical transition, I will probably drop the use (for the most part) of trans as well. I will just be a guy. A person.

Everyone could be diagnosed something or smacked with various labels. If you feel it is necessary to find the "perfect" set of labels to describe who you are, go for it. And yes, often we do need to pick a general label because the great society we live in (aka humanity) requires it. But in the end they're just words. You are you. A person, unique, and ultimately incompatible with any one word. People weren't created to have labels but unfortunately these days put so much stock into them. I think it would be better just let labels alone.

Got a bit philosophical, but there's me for you. Hope some of my rambling was informative.

-Rhys-

6. randomconnorcon

I think the reason it's been so confusing for me is because labels are all I've been hearing the last couple of years.

"Asperger's. Anxiety. Depression. Genderfluid. Trans. Male. Female. Straight. Gay. Bi. Ace."

Always questions and theories about me, and then I had to explain things to doctors and soon I'll have to tell things to a shrink. And I don't really know what to say because... I don't care.

I'm mentally ill, I'm not a girl, I'm not straight. But society wants labels. I shrugged it off for so long and all I got was questions, now I'm giving them answers and some still don't get it. It kind of made things worse, this confusion.

I don't like labels.

7. C P

C P

I don't understand those against labels, but I think I see where you're coming from in a way?

I could be misreading this a little but, as an agender person, I sometimes question which 'binary body'(male/female) I would be more content in the long run with, since apparently I have to be stuck to one or the other. In a sense, it sometimes makes me wonder if there's a little 'trans' in there somewhere because of that, biologically speaking. You can bet that occasionally makes things a bit...hectic in my mind, but ah well...

8. randomconnorcon

I'm not against labels as a whole. They're here for people who need and want them, to give them something to help them understand something about themselves and any other reason they want a label. I was looking for labels when I was questioning. It's just because of all the questions I get, I'm not too fond of them recently.

That can be hectic. I wonder that, too, when I'm agender.

9. C P

C P

That was more a general statement, heh... I can see why some would find them more of a hassle than anything, particularly those of us outside of the binary.

And, yeah, it's a real pain in the *signal loss*

It's like I don't want 'these bits/this body' but I also don't want 'those bits/that body', sometimes I want those bits/that body just to get away from this one(not in the sense that they actually fit you but because it's like we have to choose male/female, so maybe you'd be more...content?). As I tend to put it...'If this ain't me, and that ain't me, than wtf is me? It makes you feel like you don't know wtf you want. .-.

Sorry...kinda got in a ramble there, but just a little more detail about where the brief trans thought fits into the puzzle in my mind. It makes you wonder if you'd be more comfortable in the other body/being seen more as the other gender anyways.

10. randomconnorcon

No need to say sorry. I understand what you're saying. Sometimes I think it for the body I have because it would be easier for everyone really. But then I'd be depressed in the end because when I think about a body/gender I feel I should 'fall into', it's male. But sometimes I'm just thinking "what/who the hell am I?"