1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me passing?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by nevers, Jun 17, 2015.

1. nevers

Out Status:
    All but family
    So im like, pre everything and im 15 and my mom wont even let me get a short haircut because she's all about tradition and says i'll look like a boy (thats kinda the point) but theyre all transphobic etc, the whole unsupportive i'll-get-disowned kinda deal. I live with it. Anyways, i go out with my friends a lot and i want to present as myself when i go out and hopefully pass. I dont know if my photos in the "selfie" album thing were approved yet but if they are then it'd be really cool if you guys could look at it and tell me like any tips on looking more masculine or if i look like an androgynous trans guy (kinda the look im going for) and how old i look would be great. Just give it to me honest and it'd be really sweet. Thank you all in advance!

2. Ninnie

Out Status:
    All but family
    First I wanna say please, please, PLEASE do not present male if there is anyway shape or form of you getting hurt at home or being thrown out. I know it is absolutely horrible not to be who you are but your safety should come first.

NOW then for the fun. You can go on YouTube and search for ideas to make it easier to hide your [I'm assuming] long feminine hair. I can't help with that cause I cut my hair ASAP when I realized I was trans*.

Okay so if you have the ability to buy your own clothes you could try the youth boys' section [if your family will let you have male clothes]. Try on the different pants and shirts to help find your size. TIP: button down shirts help hide curves better then baggy t-shirts. The key to passing as male is to create a rectangular shape. Like your shoulders, hips and thighs all look the same size.

If you want to bind your chest I recommend an actual binder. NEVER - REPEAT - NEVER USE ACE WRAP OR TAPE. You can seriously injure your ribs and organs. There are binder donation programs if you can not buy a binder. Heck I have a binder that I got that is too small for me. I will give it to you if it will fit.

I'm sure I have missed something so please feel free to reply or message me with questions. ALSO: one of my favorite You Tubers' is uppercaseCHASE1 and he has a whole "How To" playlist for FTMs. YouTube is one of your biggest resources. Another great resource is "The Complete Illustrated Guide to Dressing Like a Hot Dude". I love it with all my heart.

Good luck!!

#2 Ninnie, Jun 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  3. suninthesky

For the hair, if it's long enough you can pull it back, flip it around towards the front and put a baseball cap on with the ends sticking out the front, it'll look pretty good.

4. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    These guys have great suggestions, but I'll quickly add.

Right now you look pretty andro but the hair really makes a difference. Try wearing it in more masculine ways, such as tying it up or putting it with a hat. Perhaps your parents would allow you to get it cut to a medium length?

My family is also traditional like yours and cringed at each level of my haircutting but here's a tip. Take it in slow stages. Ease 'em into it. The first time I got my hair "short" was when I was 13 and got it to my shoulders. Then I went through a "bob" stage [insert gag here]. Then about 2 years ago I went with a sort of long pixie. That's when people started "mistaking" me for a boy constantly. Then I let it grow out a bit but always had it in a ponytail. Finally I took it real nice and short. My parents were used to the fact that I hated long hair at that point and so pretty much allow me to do whatever I want with my hair now. Though this last time when I got a rather "military" looking haircut, short on sides and back and longer on top, my mom was not very happy. But she actually says the hairstyle has grown on her (no pun intended).

So that's what I have. Work with what you got, experiment and try different looks. You could even look up celebrity men or models with long hair for ideas. Other than the hair, my only other general passing tips that I follow would be: work out and wear guy's or androgynous clothing. I know how hard it can be to be comfortably male feeling when you're still not out whilst living with a traditional family.

By the way, your overall look is coming along great. I can totally see you as male.

Best wishes to you and if you need someone to talk to, feel free to write on my wall.
    -Rhys-

5. randomly me

randomly me Guest

It can also help to move a little bit more male (sitting walking differently etc.)

Best thing for that is observation.

Apart from that..you already do a pretty good job.