1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How would you go about telling your mother you wish to wear a binder?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by MidnightStar, Jun 22, 2015.

1. MidnightStar

Out Status:
    A few people
    I been thinking about this today, and I wasn't planning on doing it but I figured maybe I could take a look into it and explore the possibility with someone who knows more about them so I can get a better understanding then decide. But to do this I would have to come out to my mother because there isn't anyway of hiding something like this, eventually it would be known. And if I tell her how would I go about telling her and explaining?
    I don't wish for them to see it as trans sense I'm genderfluid. I also am wishing to know if I talk to her about the binder itself and my feelings, would it help if I told her i'm genderfluid? I'm worried because if I don't have to I don't want to go into details about the issue, and I don't want to talk about being genderfluid.

It's a simple question with not much to it but i'm asking for a little advice sense not sure how to bring up yes mother some day's I hate my boobs I can't see that being a very calming conversation.

2. FrereApothicair

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It might help to talk to her about it in a less certain way, as if you're having weird gender feelings and you'd like a binder so you can figure your feelings out. If you think that would get more detailed than you want it to, or your mom would react badly, maybe try a different approach.

You could always say you like the way you look in certain clothes when your boobs are de-emphasized. Just, like-- "Mom, I want to get this compression thing, because I like the way it looks and sports bras just aren't doing it for me." Maybe make it sound like a fashion whim--so she won't necessarily be concerned or suspicious. If you go through a company that also sells regular compression bras (like underworks or something), it might be easier to pass off as weird new trendy shape wear.

3. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you felt comfortable telling her you're questioning your gender, that could be easier than explaining that you're genderfluid. It might be less pressure and wouldn't require as much explanation or a formal coming out.

Otherwise, just say you like how it looks, you like how it makes your clothes look or how it makes them fit you. If you have a large chest, tell her you don't like having such a big chest and you want to wear a binder sometimes so you don't have to deal with it.